Shopping Down't Common

Unitedite Returns

Does anyone ever remember looking for the odd bargain at these places down't Attercliffe Common?

That elusive piece of Hornby rolling stock, or a replacement for that missing Britool socket, or spanner perhaps?

Took these on 16/09/1972. You got funny looks when wandering the streets with a camera back then.

SLS071-Attercliffe Sale and Exchange, Corner of Leigh Street, Attercliffe-16-09-1972.jpg

SLS069-179, 181-(Attercliffe Mart), Attercliffe Common and Steadfast Street-16-09-1972.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lysander said:

Back in the early 50's I got my first Hornby Dublo tank engine goods train set from one of these "swap shops".

Over a period of time, managed to buy four additional, Hornby Dublo, 'blood n' custard' corridor coaches, for my 'Golden Fleece' A4, set. Some where third-rail, but that was easily remedied by changing the wheels. Loved that locomotive, especially when in motion. The Walschaerts valve gear was brilliant, but an A4 pacific never looks right pulling just the two carriages that came in the box with it. Had to be rectified. Eventually bought one Pullman car to further complement the set, but it broke-up the aesthetics, and a seven carriage set, although realistic became a bit unmanageable. I used to put my head down, 'track-side' and just watch the train go by. :wub:

7 minutes ago, Unitedite Returns said:

I used to put my head down, 'track-side' and just watch the train go by. :wub:

Don't be embarrassed, you're not the only one who used to do that, except that in my case it was my Trix Twin Midland compound 4-4-0 and its train.

Those shops must have been absolute bliss inside: 95% trash 5% treasure I'd guess, but hunting and searching would have kept me happy for hours. I suppose they are all gone now.