Here's what used to happen to Sheffield bus drivers..

Sheffield History

16 minutes ago, Sheffield History said:

25659342_10210636717576638_6969588604787273991_n.jpg

Bus drivers in Sheffield used to have a tough time if they were ever late on their route!

That's a bit stiff, what year was this please? In my time on the buses we would only get in trouble for being early and would be summoned to head office to see the dreaded Miss Moncur or later Pete Voice.

4 hours ago, boginspro said:

That's a bit stiff, what year was this please? In my time on the buses we would only get in trouble for being early and would be summoned to head office to see the dreaded Miss Moncur or later Pete Voice.

My Conductor and I got reported for singing on route to Totley she said that we shouldn't have been enjoying ourselves while working so we both got carpeted but Miss Moncur thought it funny.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, syrup said:

My Conductor and I got reported for singing on route to Totley she said that we shouldn't have been enjoying ourselves while working so we both got carpeted but Miss Moncur thought it funny.

Never had that one, though we got sheeted for some other minor things, I remember when I was  a conductor, a traffic commissioner catching us with cups of tea on the front of an Atlantean on the Prince at Waingate, and when we went up to head office to face discipline all I could think of saying was " my mate should be congratulated for not spilling a drop"  Nobody went round the Prince without picking up a cuppa at CBS.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Athy said:

"Muleted" - that's a new one on me. = "fined"?

it is mulcted, which does indeed mean fined. Not a word I had come across before either.

According to the online dictionaries the verb mulct has two meanings; to punish by a fine, or to obtain by fraud! 

An interesting contrast in meanings, and clearly in the report above it is the former of those meanings in use.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hopman said:

It was reported in the Sheffield Evening Telegraph, on December 9th, 1895 (if that helps).

So I think he would be driving a horse bus because until the law was changed in 1896 there were severe restrictions on mechanically propelled road vehicles.

On 25/12/2017 at 18:09, boginspro said: