The George & Dragon (Gaffey's) Broad Lane

Mike O

Hi

I’m doing some research into my family history and wondered if anyone has any information on the “George and Dragon” that used to stand at 93 Broad Lane.

I believe it operated as a pub between 1825 and 1958. The building was later demolished and the site where it stood now seems to be a car-park.

My family connection is that in about 1903 it was taken over by my Great-Great-Aunt Norah and her husband Thomas Crosby (they had previously run the ‘Union’ around the corner on Scotland Street) Thomas died in 1906 and Norah was remarried to a man named John Gaffey, John died around 1918 so Norah then ran the pub with her daughter Eileen. Norah died in 1942, at which point Eileen ran it herself until it closed in 1958.

Norah was from Glenamaddy in Co. Galway and “Gaffey’s” as it was generally known was always considered to be an ‘Irish pub' and I believe there was a back room where they had Irish music and dancing

My dad would be taken there as a young boy by his father and remembers Norah as a very ‘large’ and somewhat intimidating lady who’s fingers were always adorned with several big rings. I’ve attached a photo of Norah and Eileen, Norah is second from left and her daughter Eileen is on the right.

If anyone has any info, memories or photographs of ‘Gaffey’s (or indeed the Union on Scotland St.) it would be much appreciated.

Mike O’Farrell

FT 4.jpg

• Like 1

The wonderful Landlord & Landlady of Fagans pub on Broad Lane have been there for many years, and I guess their pub is very close to where the George & Dragon was. Maybe they might have some memories or knowledge of the pub?

On 25/12/2017 at 09:57, Mike O said:

Hi

I’m doing some research into my family history and wondered if anyone has any information on the “George and Dragon” that used to stand at 93 Broad Lane.

I believe it operated as a pub between 1825 and 1958. The building was later demolished and the site where it stood now seems to be a car-park.

My family connection is that in about 1903 it was taken over by my Great-Great-Aunt Norah and her husband Thomas Crosby (they had previously run the ‘Union’ around the corner on Scotland Street) Thomas died in 1906 and Norah was remarried to a man named John Gaffey, John died around 1918 so Norah then ran the pub with her daughter Eileen. Norah died in 1942, at which point Eileen ran it herself until it closed in 1958.

Norah was from Glenamaddy in Co. Galway and “Gaffey’s” as it was generally known was always considered to be an ‘Irish pub' and I believe there was a back room where they had Irish music and dancing

My dad would be taken there as a young boy by his father and remembers Norah as a very ‘large’ and somewhat intimidating lady who’s fingers were always adorned with several big rings. I’ve attached a photo of Norah and Eileen, Norah is second from left and her daughter Eileen is on the right.

If anyone has any info, memories or photographs of ‘Gaffey’s (or indeed the Union on Scotland St.) it would be much appreciated.

Mike O’Farrell

FT 4.jpg

Hi Mike,

I am working on a book on Sheffield pubs and I don't have much info on this place other than the name of your relative Eileen Keaveny as the licence. I understand the licence was surrendered to build the new pub The Strad at the Stradbroke estate....which opened in Nov 1953. Do you have any pictures of Eileen from her time as landlady.

(Hi Mike,

I am working on a book on Sheffield pubs and I don't have much info on this place other than the name of your relative Eileen Keaveny as the licence. I understand the licence was surrendered to build the new pub The Strad at the Stradbroke estate....which opened in Nov 1953. Do you have any pictures of Eileen from her time as landlady.)

Hi

Thanks for the reply. Can I ask, when you say – “the licence was surrendered to build the new pub The Strad at the Stradbroke estate....which opened in Nov 1953” does that imply that Eileen Keaveny then became landlady of this pub?

Also on this site, in the section where it lists ‘keepers’ of various Sheffield pubs, it states that the George & Dragon operated between 1825 and 1958. Is that a mistake, should it really be 1953?

Lastly, to answer your question – “Do you have any pictures of Eileen from her time as landlady?” – Unfortunately I don’t, but I’m in the process of trying to trace some of Eileen Keaveny’s family, so there’s a chance that I may obtain some photographs and more info on the George & Dragon in the near future. I can let you know if anything of interest turns up.

Good luck with the book.

Mike O’Farrell

Cheers Mike. I'm making the assumption that the George & Dragon shut when the Strad opened as the council limited the number of licences it issued. It wasn't uncommon for more than 1 licence (usually a beer house licence to have to be given up when new premises were built) to have to given up so thats why I think the George & Dragon would have shut when the Strad opened. The Talbot, Highfield was also surrendered at the time and upon checking my records the first landlord at The Strad was William Pennington. 

It would be great if you do come across a picture as I have very little information on the George & Dragon...

Thanks

Jamie 

Hi Jamie

Thank for answering my questions. I’ll let you know if I come across any photos or any more info on the George & Dragon.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike

Not much new information on the George and Dragon apart from I've just unearthed that my Great Great Great Grandfather Henry Coward was the publican in 1860 running it with his wife Elizabeth- I don't know how he managed to run it as during the day he was a File Hardener and by 1871 he was no longer publican but was still living further along Broad Lane

5 hours ago, David Stevenson said:

Hi Mike

Not much new information on the George and Dragon apart from I've just unearthed that my Great Great Great Grandfather Henry Coward was the publican in 1860 running it with his wife Elizabeth- I don't know how he managed to run it as during the day he was a File Hardener and by 1871 he was no longer publican but was still living further along Broad Lane

The Brewery (probably) tried to take the Publican's License away from Norah Gaffey in 1937 in order to build a proposed new pub on the western side of Prince of Wales Rd. The application was denied.

The Pub came up for lease in 1901, the address was 95 Broad Lane, corner of Newcastle Street. The pub's owners were Samuel Smith's.

On 23/06/2022 at 12:27, David Stevenson said:

Hi Mike

David, an interesting article in the old newspapers for you, from 1864.

Snap-2022-07-28-at-18-51-53.png