What's left standing from this old photo of Sheffield?

Sheffield History

aereal_view_before_CBS.jpg.119e759afbac7b90bf1daed30376292b.jpg

Zoom in and have a look around this old photo of Sheffield. 

What parts do you recognise and what bits are now gone?

Wonder when this was taken?

Most obvious landmarks are the Midland Station, Lyceum, Catholic Cathedral.

But no Poly. No Hyde Park/Park Hill. No bus station.

I would absolutely love a huge hi-res version of this for my wall

Anyone know where I could source it?

I would have thought either it's a Picture Sheffield image, or from Britain From Above. They are the only source I know for photos from the air.

1 hour ago, Sheffield History said:

aereal_view_before_CBS.jpg.119e759afbac7b90bf1daed30376292b.jpg

Zoom in and have a look around this old photo of Sheffield. 

What parts do you recognise and what bits are now gone?

High St, Fargate, Norfolk Row, Chapel Walk, Walker & Hall (Norfolk St & Howard St) Norfolk St with Joseph Rodgers cutlery firm on the corner with the tall chimney, G.P.O., Fitzalan Square, Pond St, Granville St, Granville Hill, Brown bear, Hayes & Sons, Hibbert Brothers, News Theatre, Rag `n Tag, Broad St, Duke St, Shukers Garage, Lord Nelson, Red Lion Duke St ,Kemsley House, the Lyceum, Arundel St, Bakers Hill, the Ice House, Shude Hill, Wheel Lane, the Bell, Gallagher's Tobacco,

1 hour ago, tozzin said:

This is the church just of top centre of the photo on Granville Street.

image.jpeg

Is the hill where Park Hill stands much higher than it used to be?

8 minutes ago, History dude said:

What church is that?

St. Luke's, it was between South Street, Bungay Street and Bungay Lane.

If you follow the supertram which is blurred above to the road, is where the church would have been. Possibly where the big tree is now.  

Also I note that Midland Station has now lost it's first foot bridge.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, deejayone said:

Similar view today - actually quite a stark difference:

Thank you, I am amazed with the latest picture, it is hard to recognise the place I knew so well. I could find my way round on the old picture but would get lost in the Sheffield of today.

• Like 1

The photo has to be before 1934 because the City Library isn’t there. The Lyceum is, and the Theatre Royal opposite but, an older building is still on the Library site. The Library was opened in 1934 by the Duchess of York ( later Queen Elizabeth (and the Queen Mother).)

• Like 1

On 12/22/2017 at 17:14, Sheffield History said:

I would absolutely love a huge hi-res version of this for my wall

Anyone know where I could source it?

Couldn't find anything on 'Britain from Above' but found a cropped version of what appears to be the original here;  http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s12353&prevUrl=

In 'Picture Sheffield' there is a 3 Photo sequence flown in a Northerly direction, the other two numbered s12354 &s12355, one of which is dated 1933. (Sheffield City Council claiming copyright). I believe this larger version in the thread  is derived from this same photo but how and when is open to suggestion. Hope this doesn't muddy the water too much!   

1933 cuts it pretty close to when the Library was built, or started. The site of which has not even been cleared, unless the started the Library construction in late 1934. 

On ‎22‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 18:53, tozzin said:

This is the church just of top centre of the photo on Granville Street.

image.jpeg

Further to St Luke's Church;

SALE MEMORIAL CHURCH, ST. LUKE'S, DYER'S HILL, (Dyers Hill, now that's a name that's lost, you are left in no doubt at what activity went on there in the 18th and early 19th centuries)
erected in 1878, in remembrance of the Rev. Canon Sale, D.D., vicar of Sheffield, at a cost of £9,000, is a plain edifice in the Early Pointed style, and has several LYJ. memorial windows. The lectern was presented in 1890, in memory of James Crossland, for nine years a member of the Sheffield School Board. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £300, in the patronage of trustees, and held by the Rev. William Bracewell, M.A., of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. The
vicarage house was erected in 1880, at a cost of £2,000, on a site in Norfolk Road, presented by the late Henry Wilson esq.

Seems this is benefactor who gave the lectern to the church;

Crossland Mr James, 97 Norfolk road (either his son or his father)

Crossland James Henry, soap manufacturer, premises,69 Broad street; h 93 Norfolk road

This is the vicarage on Norfolk Road.

Chapel House Norfolk Road.jpg

15 hours ago, History dude said:

1933 cuts it pretty close to when the Library was built, or started. The site of which has not even been cleared, unless the started the Library construction in late 1934. 

I agree with you, it cannot be 1933 as the Library opened in July 1934 having started in 1929,  A further trawl through PS leads me to think it is more likely to be  1926-28 as photos s12351 to s12355 cover the flight sequence, though s12352 came up on the first line rather than with the others. (put 'Sheffield Aerial Views' in search box). The F W Woolworth site on Haymarket (s12354) appears to be 'under construction' 1920-1930 and the B &C City Stores was trading in Exchange Street from 1926 -1940 Blitz. Maybe other clues in the other pictures which will  help to define the date accurately. Other PS photos I have viewed have had incorrect 'Date periods' so it is not unreasonable to discount that 1933.

It could have the same plane that was flying over the Manor during the 1920's taking aerial shots of the newly constructed estate.  

The Fitzalan Market can plainly be seen between High St and King St, this market was opened in 1784 and was open for 144 years until it was closed in 1928, in 1932 C & A Modes opened their store on the Fitzalan Market site, so the photo is dated before 1932.

On 22/12/2017 at 20:25, boginspro said:

St. Luke's, it was between South Street, Bungay Street and Bungay Lane.

So when this closed it must have merged with St. Aidan's on City Road as that was known as St. Aidan with St. Lukes.

• Like 1