Can Anyone Identify This Location Please?

boginspro

These two images from Picture Sheffield have long baffled me. They are labelled as   " Site of Roman baths at Birley Spa Lane, Hackenthorpe " and dated 1967. In 67 I was still living in Hackenthorpe, and having lived there since 52/3 knew the area quite well but can't remember anything like this so suspect it is somewhere else though I can't work out where.

--------------------

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s33411&pos=1&action=zoom&id=107317               ------------------

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s33412&pos=2&action=zoom&id=107318

hacky.jpg

hacky2.jpg

Looking at the building roof-line just visible over the wall, through the arched window.

Could they be the gables of Hackenthorpe Hall on Main Street?

But that would mean that this photograph was taken some distance away from the traditional site of Birley Spa.

• Like 1

On 21/12/2017 at 20:34, Unitedite Returns said:

Looking at the building roof-line just visible over the wall, through the arched window.

But that would mean that this photograph was taken some distance away from the traditional site of Birley Spa.

Thank you, I have wondered about that roof line, it seems to be one of the few clues, I will have to look in to that possibility.

Not long before this I delivered milk round Hackenthorpe and knew the area like the back of my hand so would be surprised not to remember the caravans if they were in Hackenthorpe.

The only other possibility I have thought of is the derelict spa baths at the top of Sally Clark's hill, I think on Spa Lane, but I have little memory or information on that location and no pictures at all.

53 minutes ago, boginspro said:

Thank you, I have wondered about that roof line, it seems to be one of the few clues, I will have to look in to that possibility.

Not long before this I delivered milk round Hackenthorpe and new the area like the back of my hand so would be surprised not to remember the caravans if they were in Hackenthorpe.

The only other possibility I have thought of is the derelict spa baths at the top of Sally Clark's hill, I think on Spa Lane, but I have little memory or information on that location and no pictures at all.

Is there any information here on Chris Hobbs web site?

https://www.chrishobbs.com/sheffield/birleyspahistory.htm

26 minutes ago, southside said:

Is there any information here on Chris Hobbs web site?

Not that I have seen, southside  there, is plenty of information regarding Birley Spa, on there, other sites, and in books I have, but I can't relate these pictures to that place at all.  I  walked through the place regularly at that time and years before swam in the pond as a kid.

2 hours ago, Unitedite Returns said:

Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 22.36.33.jpg

Could be onto something. The roof and chimneys of the hall look similar

Boginspro - These two photographs certainly are something of a puzzle.

I am no expert in Roman Architecture, but the standing masonry depicted in these two images just doesn't look Roman to me.

Looking at picture no.1 - the well dressed, closely set masonry blocks look more 18th to mid-19th century to me than anything else, and the masonry arch, formed from a single carved piece of stone, with what seems to be a carved recess around the insides (probably to accommodate glazing) is like no Roman structure that I've ever seen. I cannot believe that if any of this was of Roman origin, that it would have survived intact for nigh on two thousand years, and that it would have been robbed out centuries ago. So, we are looking at the SITE of a Roman Baths, not a Roman Baths itself.

The nearest comparable examples of standing masonry that I can think of as being still extant in Hackenthorpe today, can be found in some parts of the Staniforth Works, and in the adjoining Greenside House. But were they really the site of a Roman Baths?

Looking at picture no.2 - again, it just doesn't feel right, and looks more like the sunken cellar remains of a demolished later structure than the remains of a Roman Baths. As for location, I can't ever, ever remember these caravans at all. However, my instincts tell me that this photograph was taken in the Shirebrook Valley, looking across towards the Shirebrook and upwards towards the Sally Clark's and Woodhouse sky-line. Now that would place the location of this image much closer to the traditional Birley Spa site. But as for this masonry being of Roman origin, I think that there exist in that area, the remains any number of more recent agricultural and industrial activities that would explain what is being portrayed in this image.

POST-SCRIPT - had these caravans been anywhere in that area for any length of time, then I am absolutely certain that we kids would have known about them.

I agree entirely Unitedite Returns  , I find it strange that people insist on calling Birley Spa a Roman baths just because there is the possibility / likelihood that the Romans were there. I know there were Roman finds about half a mile away but were there any at the Spa site?

I doubt it is Hackenthorpe at all, I would have thought that if there had been an archaeological dig locally there would have been talk of it in the pub or even in the Star. 

That looks like a high wall through the window so if it was Hackenthorpe it would have to be in the village, I think.

I think it might be a case of thinking it is somewhere else, but where?