Does anyone know what these are?

Sheffield History

Same here - milk checks were like pit checks. So possibly a purely local usage. In say Hampshire they would be milk tokens

On 21/12/2017 at 14:59, Lyn 1 said:

Remember too that the customer had a co-op number she used every time she spent. My mother's was 6054. My mother in law's was 71700 but I cannot recall my own. Every so often they could spend their 'divi'. A bit like a points card really I suppose.  

My mother’s was 6535. I often went to the local CoOp at Banner Cross and the number is stuck permanently in my memory! I well remember the wire and trolley system they used to get the money to the cashier.

My current number is many digits long - no hope of remembering it, not that it’s necessary with cards.

Wow, i'd completely forgotten about these. Mum used to go to the Co-op in Nether Edge to get the milk tokens when I was a lad in the '70s. I now clearly remember that chinking noise they made as they hit the bottom of the empty milk bottle, and Mum shaking the bottle to make sure that there weren't any tokens sitting on top of any of the others - to make sure we got the right number of bottles from the milkman.

Also remember getting the Green Shield stamps from the same Co-op. Always loved it when the stamp machine coughed out the wide strips of stamps :)

My mum had a yellow plastic 'egg timer' shaped device where the bottom half sat over the neck of the empty milk bottle and the milk checks were held in the top half.  This saved the hassle of milkmen having to retrieve milk checks out of the bottles. 

Milk Checks as most people have said.  I think the different colours were for full fat milk or gold top Jersey milk.  There was no such thing as semi skimmed or skimmed milk.

They were milk tokens or 'milk checks'  you bought them from the co-op and put them on the back windowsill and the milk man changed them for a bottle of milk

On 12/24/2017 at 13:35, Unitedite Returns said:

As for horse and cart powered milk distribution rounds, I don't know as to when the Sheffield Dairies finished with theirs

Just come across this photo', last of the horses in the stables of B&C on Broughton Lane.

last_horses_b&C_broughton_lane .jpg

• Like 1