Pond Street Bus Station in 1947

Sheffield History

4 hours ago, madannie77 said:

No no no. They ARE addictive. I spent far too long studying them when HughW first brought them to our attention, and I still love to look at them. The level of detail is amazing.

I spent some time as a  Surveyor/Cartographer so am somewhat casehardened to this type of work ! That doesn't mean I appreciate them any less,at the larger scale of 1/500 more attention is given to detail and, to clarify a point in an earlier post, the colour washes would be applied during its drawing and annotating. This colour code would be standard for all such plans in this particular field of activity.:)  

• Like 1

Regarding the Queens Head at the beginning of the 19th century the building was being used as a residence. In 1840 a pub called the Old Queen's Head was opened in a building next door to what we know as the pub now, and sometime after 1862 the pub expanded into the timber framed building. So by the time of the 1896 plan it may have already been in the timber framed bit even though it is marked as PH in the bit round the corner.