Percy Rutherford Walking Boots

Sheffield History

25487514_10156075609897878_3058703945186463893_o.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-12-20 at 11.47.09.jpg

Percy Rutherford shoe shop and walking boots shop

117-119 Infirmary Road

Apparently there was a guy who worked there who had a hook instead of a hand

Am guessing it was before Kelvin Flats

Does anyone have any idea of what was on this land pre-kelvin flats?

would be great to see some photos

11 hours ago, Sheffield History said:

Does anyone have any idea of what was on this land pre-kelvin flats?

EDITED after being corrected by madannie77 below.

Just an old picture to show the area in earlier days, a bit further up opposite West Don Street. ---  (c) http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s07999&pos=93&action=zoom&id=11150

west_don.jpg

1 hour ago, madannie77 said:

119 Infirmary Road was on the corner with Portland Street, pretty much where the bus layby is in the image in the first post.

Thanks, madannie77 for correcting me, I have edited my post so there is no false information. I had forgotten the Kelvin Grove address and was looking at 219 instead of 119.

This is the 1855 ordnance survey (surveyed in 1850-1). The short straight lane in the centre, to the right of the word 'Wells' is approximately on the line of Portland Street:

Infirmary Rd 119 - 1855 OS.JPG
(source: National Library of Scotland)

This is an 1863 map from the PictureSheffield site - an updating of the OS map - showing that Portland Street and the frontage along Infirmary Road to either side had been built: 

Infirmary Rd 119 - 1863.JPG

Percy Rutherford was my Grandfather, sorry to say he did not have a hook instead of a hand. The boots where sold with one pair of laces and he used to fit the plates and segs as required. I still have his cobbles last and some plates and segs some where.

The shop at 117-119 Infirmary road was for men shoes and he did have another shop at 132 Infirmary Road which catered for ladies and children shoes that his wife used to run with help from his two daughters one being my mother.

From what I can recall there was a butchers at either 134 or 136 Infirmary Road and a Fishing Tackle come racing pigeon come general hardware store at 130 Infirmary Road, there was also a bakers on the corner of Infirmary Road at 126 which baked there own bread and cakes. 

Blanchards Department stores  was located in 114 -126 Infirmary road and Darby's garage and auto-work shop was located at 204 on the corner of Infirmary Road and Gilpin street.