Question about map showing where bombs dropped on sheffield?

Hello,

I was wondering whether anyone knows whether the map showing where the bombs dropped in sheffield during the blitz includes both High Explosive/landmines and incendaries, or were there too many of the latter to include?

Thanks alot,

Ron

Hi Ron

The map in the back of the book 'The Sheffield Blitz, operation Crucible' has a note which says the dots mark the positions of high explosive bombs, the incendiaries were too numerous. It also says ''this map is based on the 1944 records, so they may include them. The Sheffield raid of 15/16 December was the first raid where the Luftwaffe increased the percentage of incendiaries in each bombload. The effect was startling. Bomber crews began to speak of 'fire ribbons' laid down across a target, and of 'Brandbombfeld' (Fire-bomb field) which emerged as these coalesced.

Hello,

thanks alot for the reply.The map which I was referring too,however, is the one that was printed in the "Star" newspaper.Would this also have only shown High explosives and landmines?Also, would a bombs position have been plotted even if it failed to denonate?

Regards

Ron

Hello,

thanks alot for the reply.The map which I was referring too,however, is the one that was printed in the "Star" newspaper.Would this also have only shown High explosives and landmines?Also, would a bombs position have been plotted even if it failed to denonate?

Regards

Ron

Ron

The map posted on here was from a map based on one in The Star which was published in the book the Sheffield Blitz. It refers to "bombs" and states it is not complete.

Ron

In "Sheffield at War" it states that just on 12/12/1940 the Germans dropped 450 HE bombs, 6 parachute mines and thousands of incendiaries.

On the 15th a further 100 HEs, 5 parachute and again thousands of incendaries.

So I assume the map only showed the approximate number of Bombs

Hello,

Regards

Ron

With regard to unexploded bombs. All local Councils were required to keep a record of all unexploded bombs, whether recovered or not. Unfortunately, Sheffield Council can't remember where they put theirs. They know there is one but apparently nobody can find it! It makes the job of building in Sheffield that little bit more exciting!

Guest DavidH

Don't know if this is relevant but instead of being in the shelter, all my family were on the front step watching the Gerry planes return home. They dropped two incendiaries on the Manor estate. One destroyed the Community Centre at the junction of Hastilar Rd. and Prince of Wales Road. Total destruction. The second was on a house at the corner of Ravenscar Road and Prince of Wales Rd. Total destruction including the death of the householder who had left the safety of his shelter to rescue his dog in the house. Regards David Hall

Don't know if this is relevant but instead of being in the shelter, all my family were on the front step watching the Gerry planes return home. They dropped two incendiaries on the Manor estate. One destroyed the Community Centre at the junction of Hastilar Rd. and Prince of Wales Road. Total destruction. The second was on a house at the corner of Ravenscar Road and Prince of Wales Rd. Total destruction including the death of the householder who had left the safety of his shelter to rescue his dog in the house. Regards David Hall

Would this be the second one you mentioned? From "The Sheffield Blitz" by Alistair Lofthouse.