The Redmires Ridge

CANTERBURY

I am engaged in writing a short history of the Redmires Ridge in Sheffield. This is long overdue. It has long been a popular recreation for the people of Sheffield, but it also has plenty of interesting stories to tell.  Such as the story behind the coming and building of the reservoirs - its place as the site of an 18th  century horse racing course - its important military significance in both World  Wars including its  POW camps. And latterly the Ridge was at one time the site of vital contagious diseases and pioneering spinal injuries Hospital, as well as the .possible site for Sheffield's first commercial AIir field.

To complete my study,  I should be very pleased to make contact with anyone who could share with memories or information relating to the Ridge. Contribution would of course be attributed

• Like 1

Hi CANTERBURY, in answer to your earlier request that I found. There were 2 track ways from Sheffield, going by the Fulwood area leading out to Hathersage. One was over Ringinglow Moor and Burbage, the other was 'LONG CAUSEY' going through REDMIRES and STANEDGE. They certainly would be the main trade routes.( re:- 1795 Fairbank map of Sheffield )  There were a lot of Irish workmen building the reservoirs, a pub called the Grouse and Trout, near the dams, was frequented by the men, where many a fight broke out after a good drinking session.