Sheffield Miners Strike of 1984

Sheffield History

366bb106467441be3e5cfdc8f0b58161--coal-mining-vintage-photography.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Just realised we've never really covered the Miners Strike in any great detail and so I'd like to start the discussion

Do you know anyone who was directly involved or impacted by the miners strike of 1984?

Be great to hear your stories and memories of the time

• Like 2

On 17/12/2017 at 10:37, Sheffield History said:

366bb106467441be3e5cfdc8f0b58161--coal-mining-vintage-photography.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Just realised we've never really covered the Miners Strike in any great detail and so I'd like to start the discussion

Do you know anyone who was directly involved or impacted by the miners strike of 1984?

Be great to hear your stories and memories of the time

The lady at the back centre in the top picture is my mother-in-law.

There was a chap who lived on Queen Mary Close that refused to take part in the strike. He had several police cars around his house at several times.

I used to own a very smart, metallic bronze Ford Cortina Mark V, and it was my pride and joy. Unfortunately however, it carried Barnsley registration plates, and during the miners' strike, I was regularly stopped and questioned by the bizzies. Usually, when heading towards the Nottinghamshire, or the Derbyshire borders.

Always the same questions, where are you coming from, and where are you going to? And generally asked with any lack of common courtesy.

The fact that I was nearly always wearing a business suit at the time, and very clearly, not a mine worker, seemed lost on those particular bizzies.

I suppose that many others had similar experiences.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stephen Rodgers said:

I was a Dinnington striking miner    100% and proud

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10208879156402661&id=1427226100

Loved your video about Dinnington miners, very moving in parts. Like the middle aged miner with 3 grown-up kids who had never learned to drive. And the miner who started a new career in his wife's Bridal wear business. Very humbling when they lined up to get their redundancy letter and commemorative tankard. A football team posing for a team photo all wearing flat caps. That video is gold, thanks for the link.

• Like 1

I was never involved with mining but my work took me to Hadfields in the late 70s.

Some of the people there had been subject to very distressing abuse by the NUM flying pickets outside the steelworks.

Can anyone recall why they targeted Hadfields?

The Police did their level best to foment trouble when the Miners  peacefully demonstrated through the City. Pub landlords were "advised" not to serve the miners on pain of..."if you do, we will find out and watch out for your license when its due for renewal"/...sort of thing!

Hadfields was privately owned and whilst parts of the nationalised BSC were major customers of the NCB ,Hadfields weren't at all. However, the NUM felt that the steel industry( private and public) was a legitimate target...especially after Hadfields had wrongly been picketed in the earlier BSC strike.

• Like 1