Sheffield Cinemas Programmes,during the 1959 Print Strike.

S24

When I retired, as a personal project,I spent many afternoons in the Local History Library going through back copies of The Star and the Morning Telegraph, trying to compile a record of what films were shown at the main City Centre cinemas between 1948 and 1972.

I managed to do this very successfully.

However, when I came to the year 1959, I found that there had been a National Print Strike between June 28th and August 1st that year. This meant that the Sheffield newspapers were not published between those dates.

What I would like to know is, does anyone have any record, either in Diaries, or from personal recollection, of what films were showing between these date at the following Sheffield cinemas:

THE ODEON

THE GAUMONT

THE CINEMA HOUSE

THE HIPPODROME

THE PALACE, UNION STREET

also:

THE LYRIC, DARNALL

THE ADELPHI, ATTERCLIFFE

I would be most grateful if anyone can help me fill in the missing pieces,

Thanks.

My Father was the manager of the Adelphi in the late 50's and 60's his name was Trevor Pengelly, unfortunately long dead.

I am sure I can find some information for you from my mother who is still alive.

He was running the Adelphi when it was changed to a Bingo hall by Corrigan and Ford Enterprises (Owners then of the Batley Variety club

Thanks for that, RL

That list is a bit perfunctory in that, the dates given are when those films opened in London.

For example: BEN-HUR was not released in all UK cinemas in December,1959. It had its exclusive London Premiere then,at the Empire,Leicester Square.

It didn’t get to Sheffield until September,1961, where it played at the new ABC. 

It was that cinema’s first 70mm Road Show.

Thanks for your help anyway. I’ll keep trying. 

On 4 March 2018 at 14:08, Bucksowl said:

My Father was the manager of the Adelphi in the late 50's and 60's his name was Trevor Pengelly, unfortunately long dead.

I am sure I can find some information for you from my mother who is still alive.

He was running the Adelphi when it was changed to a Bingo hall by Corrigan and Ford Enterprises (Owners then of the Batley Variety club

That would be wonderful and most useful.

Thank-You very much.