Bottom of Dykes Hall Road in Hillsborough

Sheffield History

24852484_1741737219184445_2574555457817315635_n.png

Another location that's not changed that much over the years. This is it in the 1960's

Main change I think has been the addition of the Supertram route through this scene

21 hours ago, Sheffield History said:

24852484_1741737219184445_2574555457817315635_n.png

Another location that's not changed that much over the years. This is it in the 1960's

Main change I think has been the addition of the Supertram route through this scene

Except for the mini  and the bus it even looked like that before  WW2.  The grandparents lived on Airedale Road and if Father was with us it was tram to Middlewood and up Langsett Avenue. Mother had other ideas. One way was a Wisewood bus to the school and a long level walk. I suspect this is a Wisewood bus on it's way back to city. Better was to get the Worrall bus which lurked round the corner. It came down to just short of where the bus is standing, offloaded and did an awkward move backward across into the stand at the end of Clarence Road.  Quick look from the tram and if there was one there, off and sprint.

Then came the fun bit.  Even at age seven or so I felt sorry for the driver. The start was on the level then a hairpin turn left and immediately onto the slope. Bottom crash  gear,  over to the right towards the pavement, hard left round the corner, over to the right on Dykes Hall Road, come back over on the grade  and hopefully  change up at a walking pace. As I understand  there was no power steering in those days either. Not the best way I always thought but it was the era of country bus routes  only coming to the nearest tram route. Ultimately we reached Wadsley church and an easy final walk. 

There is another point which is a leftover from the war. Even in the 1960s there is a queue at the shop. Some things were still short and old habits died hard. Force of habit by then, to the extent that people had queued without necessarily knowing what for.there might be at the end. There  was a report of one forming at a closed shop doorway. A tram arrived, the lady at the head walked out to it, took the driver's lunch out, handed it to him on the front platform and walked away. Even in the war nobody thought it improbable. 

Nice reminder of what used to be there..

• Like 1

That queue is actually people around the fruit and veg stall at the the end of Brier Street. This was an open air barrow selling fresh produce which was still there in the 1970s. The large window at the corner of Dykes Hall Road and Middlewood Road is now bricked up. Amazingly Funk's butcher's shop is still in existence in that row of shops.