Dykes Lane shops in the 1960's

Sheffield History

24991146_1741737322517768_5304322015623079624_n.png

Not really changed that much as you can see but here's a photo of Dykes Lane shops from the 1960's if anyone knows where that is

Just up from Malin Bridge school

I don't know the location, but I do find this sort of photo very atmospheric and nostalgic. It's very likely that all the shops were useful, too, though it's hard to distinguish any apart from the barber's; I hope that the parade does not now comprise two charity shops, three pizza take-aways and a nail bar.

On 13/12/2017 at 15:01, Athy said:

I don't know the location, but I do find this sort of photo very atmospheric and nostalgic. It's very likely that all the shops were useful, too, though it's hard to distinguish any apart from the barber's; I hope that the parade does not now comprise two charity shops, three pizza take-aways and a nail bar.

As far as I can determine..... Right to left... Empty?, Cafe / Takeaway, Empty ex-Offy, House? Barbers, Newagents, House?, House?, House?... 

IMG_3057.PNG

I think I’ve found Tom in my family tree. I can never tell if I’m doing it right 😂😂

There were more shops to the far left of the picture (on the same side of the road) between Norris Road and Findon Street (I remember a newsagents and a decorators shop at least) as well as a butchers on the corner of Findon Street. There used to be a chippy (almost 50 years since I lived there) down Norris Road on the right hand corner and a sweet shop further round near the rear entrance to the Junior school (left there in 1968). Four Black Jacks for an old penny. 

Behind the photographer there were also some shops as well. 

On 03/03/2024 at 21:24, ewanarm said:

Tom Anderson's my father in law!

If I’m correct. Tom was my great grandma Maggie Anderson’s nephew.

Yes, the Thomas Anderson highlighted was my wife's grandfather.