The old B&C shop. Do you know where this used to stand?

Sheffield History

Looks like Hillsborough branch opposite the bottom of Dykes Hall Road, it was still there the last time I saw Sheffield.

EDIT:  That's the "new" Co-op, here is the old one with the new one  starting to be built behind it. The new one opened in about 1961.

co-op_hillsborough.jpg

It's just clicked: would "B&C" have stood for "Brightside & Carbrook"? There was a milk lorry bearing that name which used to deliver along Gleadless Avenue.

Our B and C divi number was..805418.( last used 50 years ago) Go on an errand to the Co-Op and come home without the divi receipt then expect trouble from Mum!:)

3 hours ago, Athy said:

It's just clicked: would "B&C" have stood for "Brightside & Carbrook"? There was a milk lorry bearing that name which used to deliver along Gleadless Avenue.

Yes Brightside & Carbrook was a very well liked and important movement in Sheffield. I worked for them in the 60's as a milk roundsman from Woodhouse dairy ( Originally Woodhouse Co-operative Society ) and at one time did the Hollinsend / Intake round so possibly did Gleadless Avenue. One thing I remember about working that area is that if an electric float was used it would some times run out of power, I have at times waited at the bottom of Normanton Hill for a tow home.

Previouse topic on the B&C here          ----------------          

Thanks, Bog'. I remember the delivery lorry as being red, and it was a proper lorry, not a "milk float" - Bedford perhaps, all I can remember is that it had the engine under a bonnet sticking out front, rather than under or in the cab as some smaller commercial vehicles did.