Does anyone recognise this place?

Sheffield History

8 minutes ago, Sheffield History said:

Sheffield.jpg

Anyone know where this photo was taken?

First guess would be Wadsley Bridge. Where Penistone Road to the left, becomes Halifax Road to the right, with Wardsend Road North behind the camera.

I would think that it is in Neepsend. The Mini Van is coming out of Boyland Street onto Rutland Road which is about to pass under the railway line and the remains of buildings on Manners Street are at the bottom of the embankment. I would think that the chimney on the other side of the railway line belongs to the brick works marked on the map linked to below. The photographer is basically at the junction of Rutland Road and Hicks Street.

http://maps.nls.uk/view/125651158#zoom=4&lat=2170&lon=14363&layers=BT

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, madannie77 said:

I would think that it is in Neepsend. The Mini Van is coming out of Boyland Street onto Rutland Road which is about to pass under the railway line and the remains of buildings on Manners Street are at the bottom of the embankment. I would think that the chimney on the other side of the railway line belongs to the brick works marked on the map linked to below. The photographer is basically at the junction of Rutland Road and Hicks Street.

Spot on  madannie77 , I have been scratching my head as to where I use to pass those railings regularly, possibly put there because of the nearby school.

On 09/12/2017 at 17:35, madannie77 said:

I agree I remember that signal box.

20 hours ago, siren said:

I agree I remember that signal box.

Once seen, never forgotten I should think - I can't remember seeing one as tall as that!

The buildings (?) to the left intrigue me. Were they some sort of railway arches or caves let into the embankment? If so, what for?

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Once seen, never forgotten I should think - I can't remember seeing one as tall as that!

The buildings (?) to the left intrigue me. Were they some sort of railway arches or caves let into the embankment? If so, what for?

The map I linked to earlier shows buildings on that side of Manners Street which look like terraced houses. Unfortunately the Sheffield History maps which show rather more detail do not cover this area.

I would guess that there is a wall abutting the embankment and the remains of what look like buildings were perhaps the "outside facilities" of these houses.

This image from Britain from Above shows Manners Street (LHS of the image) to be a row of terraces with the wall against the embankment and, with some zooming in, what look like outside toilets built against that wall. I wonder how effective putting the washing out to dry was when Neepsend Engine Shed was on the other side of the tracks!

There are several other images on Britain From Above showing this area, but I think this one is the clearest.

Not sure if it is just my computer, but the link to Britain from Above doesn't work properly in Opera. It is fine in Chrome and Firefox, however. 

• Like 1

There was a gateway to the signal box through the sleeper wall, most of the houses were demolished and just the end few remained in the sixties, the Plant family lived there.

17 hours ago, madannie77 said:

I would guess that there is a wall abutting the embankment and the remains of what look like buildings were perhaps the "outside facilities" of these houses.

That's a very good suggestion. So, not long-forgotten Hallamshire Troglodyte dwellings after all, but likely something more prosaic!

1 hour ago, Lyn 1 said:

Just had a google of the Helen Wilson Settlement mentioned in your link, Dr Helen Wilson can be seen in this photo 2nd from the left. She was the daughter of HJ Wilson MP who founded the Rutland Hall settlement which was on the junction of Hick St and Rutland Rd (building is still there). Though I've read somewhere that Rutland Rd used to be called Wilson Street?...

5a302daccb377_ScreenShot2017-12-12at19_25_24.png.06882d89b90928200b8c1fc3ea03f04d.png

The signal box in the original photo gets a mention on the old thread below where they are trying to identify and locate the arches shown on the photo. Sadly the thread lasts for 8 years  without successfully identifying the location. The two signal boxes do look very similar when zooming in...

Sheffield.jpg

WaltPicturePost.jpg

1 hour ago, LeadFarmer said:

The signal box in the original photo gets a mention on the old thread below where they are trying to identify and locate the arches shown on the photo. Sadly the thread lasts for 8 years  without successfully identifying the location. The two signal boxes do look very similar when zooming in...

Sheffield.jpg

WaltPicturePost.jpg

Looks more like this,

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.4842771,-2.2519691,3a,16.4y,276.26h,93.27t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s0sk1I7_GM44S6rzyXfGGBg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I was just wondering, when they built the railway did the make that embankment or did they simply cut away the ground around it?

Surely, HD, if the ground had been level and at the right height all around, there would have been no reason to cut the rest away to form an embankment.