What's the most mysterious Sheffield place you can think of?

Sheffield History

Sheffield.jpg.8d99dda52611a4472af9fad079b1c102.jpg

Everyone must have one of these. A place you've seen or been to or heard about in Sheffield that seems mysterious to you that you might like to know a bit more about.

Could be a sweet factory that nobody goes in or out of, or a mysterious scary looking building, or maybe a place where there used to be houses, or a tunnel to somewhere strange. Maybe it's an old cinema building, or a mysterious tower somewhere. 

What's yours?

Let us know and we'll try and find out as much information and photos as possible about them!

Not the most mysterious but...

On Mansfield Rd, Intake opposite the old bus terminus is what looks like a gatepost stone. Maybe from farmland. But it's survived major development, the widening of the road, an electricity substation, the creation of a housing estate and refurbishment of the pavements. Wonder why, and what it was for

Gatepost Intake.jpg

• Like 1

Harrops Salve, not sure of the correct spelling, the shop stood near the bottom of Howard Street, the window had several bunions, corns, toe nails and lumps of hard skin sent by grateful customers of their wonder salve that removed or cured people's feet problems. I never saw anybody going in or out of this shop despite thousands of letters bundled together and stacked on shelves. I'm talking about the 1950s, the shop window looked like nothing I've ever seen before or since.

10 hours ago, eldomsmith said:

Not the most mysterious but...

On Mansfield Rd, Intake opposite the old bus terminus is what looks like a gatepost stone. Maybe from farmland. But it's survived major development, the widening of the road, an electricity substation, the creation of a housing estate and refurbishment of the pavements. Wonder why, and what it was for

It looks to line up with a field boundary on a 1906 map so I suppose it could just be one side of the gate into that field but it seems strange that it has survived if that's all it is . The last time I saw Intake I think the old Derbyshire boundary stone was still there on the other side of the road nearer Frechville right over the Shire Brook.

5 hours ago, tozzin said:

Harrops Salve, not sure of the correct spelling, the shop stood near the bottom of Howard Street, the window had several bunions, corns, toe nails and lumps of hard skin sent by grateful customers of their wonder salve that removed or cured people's feet problems. I never saw anybody going in or out of this shop despite thousands of letters bundled together and stacked on shelves. I'm talking about the 1950s, the shop window looked like nothing I've ever seen before or since.

They seemed to do a lot of business by mail, probably not surprising if their customers had problems with their feet. In 1916 Ernest Harrop, the son of Aaron Harrop, the inventor of the salve, was prosecuted for not charging the relevant stamp duty on medicines.  Aaron had been prosecuted for similar offences in 1913 and 1914.

5a2a76fa0453d_HarropSalve.png.a0044aeaa5cdc96c0a9911320bd21b8b.png

17 hours ago, Sheffield History said:

Everyone must have one of these. A place you've seen or been to or heard about in Sheffield that seems mysterious to you that you might like to know a bit more about.

Could be a sweet factory that nobody goes in or out of, or a mysterious scary looking building, or maybe a place where there used to be houses, or a tunnel to somewhere strange. Maybe it's an old cinema building, or a mysterious tower somewhere. 

What's yours?

Let us know and we'll try and find out as much information and photos as possible about them!

Got to be Sheffield Town Hall!

The logic behind most of the deliberations made by the supposed 'great and the good' within that edifice are a mystery indeed to the majority of normal people.

• Like 1

On 07/12/2017 at 20:37, Sheffield History said:

Sheffield.jpg.8d99dda52611a4472af9fad079b1c102.jpg

What's yours?

I think that photo is taken from somewhere at the bottom end of Division Street (Devonshire Green) looking towards the Town Hall. The square tall chimney in the centre is the boiler house of the Old Royal Hospital which was located on Westfield Terrace. Westfield Terrace was also home of the Stamp Shop. The clock tower with the 'onion' dome also rings a bell but I can't quite place it. There's another mystery?

Wazzie Worrall

53 minutes ago, Paul Worrall said:

I think that photo is taken from somewhere at the bottom end of Division Street (Devonshire Green) looking towards the Town Hall. The square tall chimney in the centre is the boiler house of the Old Royal Hospital which was located on Westfield Terrace. Westfield Terrace was also home of the Stamp Shop. The clock tower with the 'onion' dome also rings a bell but I can't quite place it. There's another mystery?

Wazzie Worrall

You are a bit out there  Paul  ,in the centre with the chimney is Moorhead Brewery with union Street to its right.    Covered here     -------    https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/16570-a-birds-eye-view-of-old-sheffield/?tab=comments#comment-139917

1 hour ago, Paul Worrall said:

The clock tower with the 'onion' dome also rings a bell but I can't quite place it. There's another mystery?

Wazzie Worrall

The clock tower is on the Newton Chambers building on the corner of Furnival Street and Union Street

Talking of mysterious Sheffield buildings. How and why has 19 Shrewsbury Road survived?   After demolition of all the surrounding properties in the 50/60s it was left derelict. Many years later a lot of time and money was spent on it and put back into use, not sure if anyone ever lived in it though.  W/E.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Waterside Echo said:

Talking of mysterious Sheffield buildings. How and why has 19 Shrewsbury Road survived?   After demolition of all the surrounding properties in the 50/60s it was left derelict. Many years later a lot of time and money was spent on it and put back into use, not sure if anyone ever lived in it though.  W/E.

That must be Walkers sweet factory, lovely smell and you could buy sweets directly from them. I am glad that at least a little bit of the old Park District survives, I am just wondering if there is any sign of Turners Hill left, which was at the side of it.

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 19:19, madannie77 said:

The clock tower is on the Newton Chambers building on the corner of Furnival Street and Union Street

The clock tower seems to look slightly different to the one in the main picture don't you think?

Sorry , I seem to be looking at the wrong clock, I was looking at the one in the centre of the picture.

On 2/16/2018 at 21:49, boginspro said:

That must be Walkers sweet factory, lovely smell and you could buy sweets directly from them. I am glad that at least a little bit of the old Park District survives, I am just wondering if there is any sign of Turners Hill left, which was at the side of it.

Yes, but the question is how and why has it survived?  Every bit of property that side of Shrewsbury Road and Talbot Street was demolished for the Park Hill complex. There were hundreds of properties in that area, for only one to have been left standing there has got to be a very good reason.   W/E.

Did we have "listed" status back then? If so, could it have been listed or, perhaps, kept by the City planners as

a reminder of times past in the post War programme of redevelopment?

On ‎17‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 14:33, ukelele lady said:

The clock tower seems to look slightly different to the one in the main picture don't you think?

Sorry , I seem to be looking at the wrong clock, I was looking at the one in the centre of the picture.

That's the tower of St. Paul's church on Pinstone Street, demolished in 1938. It stood where the Peace Gardens are now.

On 16/02/2018 at 20:56, Waterside Echo said:

As far as I can tell this is the building referred to in the Defence Of Britain project. There's supposed to be a concrete pillbox with single embrasure in the basement. Although surely there were houses in the way in the 1940s (?)

5ad781b7f41ef_ScreenShot2018-04-18at18_30_51.png.8fec2ff28954510cd58268aefaa959ed.png

On 4/18/2018 at 18:35, unrecordings said:

As far as I can tell this is the building referred to in the Defence Of Britain project. There's supposed to be a concrete pillbox with single embrasure in the basement. Although surely there were houses in the way in the 1940s (?)

5ad781b7f41ef_ScreenShot2018-04-18at18_30_51.png.8fec2ff28954510cd58268aefaa959ed.png

Embrasure. An opening in a wall or parapet, used for shooting through. I wonder what else it could be hiding?  W/E.

On 2/16/2018 at 20:56, Waterside Echo said:

Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 19.24.47.jpg

This place used to fascinate me as a kid

On 08/12/2017 at 06:17, tozzin said:

That took me back to my childhood,I always wondered what they were then,daren't ask anyone,there was a shop similar on Change Alley off Norfolk Street,there speciality were trusses,I never dared to ask what that was all about ??

On ‎24‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 19:25, Sheffield History said:

Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 19.24.47.jpg

This place used to fascinate me as a kid

The last time I passed this building someone was living in it but if anyone is interested here's a list of residents of Shrewsbury Road: Notice that the road name after Shrewsbury starts with a small "s" as it does for lane, street etc. I don't know when that practice stopped and capital letters were used.

NO HOUSE NUMBERS
Wilson Joseph Bousfield, clerk, 7 Shrewsbury road
Goodlad William, clerk, 9 Shrewsbury road
Dudley Guilford, clerk,11 Shrewsbury road
Charles A. F. teacher 13 Shrewsbury road
Goode Barney, gardener, Shrewsbury road cottage
Hall Miss Mary, Farm bank, Shrewsbury road
Lockwood Mrs Ann, Farm bank, Shrewsbury road
Roberts John, silver & plated ware  manufacturer; h Shrewsbury road

NO HOUSE NUMBERS
(Farm bank)
Woodhead John, clerk
Raworth B. P. manufacturer
Fawkes Mrs E. school teacher (She ran a Ladies School from this address)
Smith Marcus, surveyor
Booth Luke, manufacturer
Rossell Henry, manufacturer =  this may be No 19
Lowe Thomas, manufacturer
Hall Miss Mary (Farm Bank)
Favell Mrs E
Irving Nathaniel, manufacturer
Wilson J. B. clerk
Whittaker Mr John
Baines Wm. N. traveller
Wade :Mr John
Simmonett John
Charles A. F. school
Harrison A. E. school
Brown John, traveller
Wharton George, manufacturer

5 Oldfield Mr Thomas
5 Oldfield Frederick, pianoforte tuner (possible son)
7 Walker Edward, file cutter
9 Ellis William (potato  merchant)
11 Ward Jonathan. N. commercial traveller
Granville lane
19 Dealey & Horner, joiners & builders
21 Robinson John S. manager
23 Morris Mrs Amelia
25 Wilson Mrs Ellen
27 Gillott George Wm. (junior) pearl fluter
29 Horrax John, manager
31 Wood John, cashier
33 Jackson
UNITED METHODIST FREE CHURCH
South street and Talbot street
Granville road
2 Curtis John B. station master, Midland Railway Co
4 Leffler Rudolph, iron and steel merchant
Farm Bank road
8 Jones Philip, (junior) silver engraver
10 .Bailey Francis, mason
12 Henson George, clerk
14 Haywood John, (junior) silver plater
16 Southwick Mrs Mary
18 Wilson Wright, surgeon
20 Mammatt William (silver plated goods manufacturer)
22 Barnard Frederick, engine tenter
Hall Benjamin, (junior) silversmith
Claywood lane, Claywood quarry, and Norfolk road

WEST SIDE
here is Granville street
3 Stocks Charles
5 Foster Mrs
7 Hunt Oliver Joiner
9 Nicholson Arthur Manager
11 Osborne Arthur
13 McDougall Alfred E.L. Printer
15 Prince Joseph Manager
19 Dealy Fraser Joiner & Builder
21 Pattinson Arthur Metal Smith
23 Schofield Mrs
27 Lawson John Manager
29 Oakes Henry
31 Jones Mrs Jane
EAST SIDE
here are Farm road & Granville road
2 Wheen Henry Lawrence Station master Midland Railway
4 Owen George Bargh (correct name !)
here is Farm Bank road
8 Hollingsworth William
10 Wilkinson Henry Penknife blade manufacturer
12 Cowley Ernest John Mason
14 Kitson John
16 Brown Samuel Mason
18 Rhodes Tom Manager
18 Naylor George
20 Green Charles Pattern maker
22 Smith Walter Basket maker
24 Page William Commercial Traveller
26 Hall Benjamin

Granville street
NO NUMBER 19 LISTED
1 Shaw John Arthur, (j) edge tool.forger
3 Stocks Charles, (j) roller turner
5 Whitton George, (j) steel roller
7 Hutchinson Albert Edward, (j) silversmith
9 Nicholson Arthur, manager
9 Nicholson Mrs Jennie, teacher of music
11 Osborne William, draper
13 MacDougall Alfred E. printer
15 MacDougall Allan, printer
17 Backhouse Miss Ellen, confectioner
Granville lane
21 Pattison Arthur, (j) metal smith
23 Watkins James, guard
25 Bower Frederick, (j) blade maker
27 Smith Frederick. Wm. paperhanger
29 Chandler Thomas Edward, clerk .
31 J ones Mrs Jane, apartments
33 Wright Robert, day missionary
South street
............... Norfolk road ................ .
Granville road
2 Wheen Henry L. Midland Railway station master
4 Bird Richard, Midland Railway engineer
Farm Bank road
6 Snowden William, fruit merchant
8 Hollingsworth William, tailor
10 Wilkinson Henry, (j) forger
12 Hall Paulinus, clerk
14 Cowley Ernest John, (j) mason
16 Crapper Ellis, oil merchant
18 Green Charles, sculptor
20 Dixon Mrs. Elizh. Mary, apartments
22 Smith Walter, (j) basket maker
24 Scorah Mrs Eliza
26 Hall Benjamin, (j) silversmith
Claywood lane
34 Barker Miss Eleanor, apartments
36 Godfrey Jas. Briggs, woollen merchant
38 Angell Wilfred Lawson, fruiterer

NO NUMBER 19 LISTED
Granville street
1 Sanders Harry, foreman
5 Kelly Nicholas James, stoker
7 Wyatt Charles, (j) bricklayer
9 Nicholson Arthur, manager
9 Nicholson Mrs Jennie, teacher of music
11 Osborne William Draper
13 MacDougall Alfred E. printer
15 MacDougall Allan, printer
Granville lane
 Dealy Francis, joiner
21 King George Henry. coal merchant
23 Watkins James, guard
25 Bower Frederick. (j) blade maker
27 Hawke Mrs Emma Jane
29 Staniforth Charles, (j) butcher
31 Jutsum Wm. John, assistant Schoolmaster
33 Pollitt Mrs Eliza, shopkeeper
Granville road
2 Chambers Shelton, Midland Rail station master
4 Bird Mrs
6 Snowdon William, fruit merchant
10 Hollingsworth Wm. Henry. tailor
12 Hall Paulinus, clerk
14 Haynes William. (j) wire drawer
16 Cowley Ernest John, (j) mason
18 Green  Charles Artist
20 Dixon Mrs Elizabeth Mary
22 Smith WaIter Basket maker
24 Scorah Mrs Elizabeth
26 Hall Benjamin Silversmith
34 Crabtree Wire Drawer
36 Shevloff Benjamin Draper
38 Shakespeare William  Manager

NUMBER 19 IS BACK
Granville street
1 Royle Harry, insurance agent
5 Kelly Nicholas James, stoker
7 Downs William, brass turner
9 Grindrod Alfred & Co. hot water engineers
9 Grindrod Alfred Edwin, engineer
11 Osborne William
13 MacDougall Allan, printer
15 MacDougall Alfred E. printer
Granville lane
19 Green Charles, sculptor
21 Keeton Mrs Mary
23 Hallam William foreman blacksmith
25 Henson Thomas, (j) silversmith
27 Curtis Frederick, table knife forger
33 Allen  Elizabeth. dress maker
UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
Granville road
2 Turner John Henry, chief booking clerk
4 Berrisford Joseph Wm. district engineer
Farm Bank road
6 Pell Edwin Frederick. fish merchant
10 Hollingsworth Alexander, tailor
12 Hall .Paulinus, clerk
14 Riley Samuel, guard
16 Cowley Ernest John, (j) mason
18 Green Charles, sculptor
20 Green W alter
22 Smith Walter, (j) basket maker
24 Scorah Mrs Eliza.
26 Hall Gilbert
Claywood road
36 Shevloff Benj. lace curtain dealer
38 Shakespeare William. pattern maker

On 08/12/2017 at 11:29, Edmund said:

They seemed to do a lot of business by mail, probably not surprising if their customers had problems with their feet. In 1916 Ernest Harrop, the son of Aaron Harrop, the inventor of the salve, was prosecuted for not charging the relevant stamp duty on medicines.  Aaron had been prosecuted for similar offences in 1913 and 1914.

5a2a76fa0453d_HarropSalve.png.a0044aeaa5cdc96c0a9911320bd21b8b.png

Ernest Harrop was a very interesting gentleman. He was my grandfather.

No 19 was rescued by the Manor and Castle Development trust. It was being used as an architect office last time I went past, but that was a few years ago. It was known locally as the Sweet Factory as it was used at one time as precisely that.

The most mysterious place I can think of is the Town Hall. Nobody in Sheffield has a clue what goes off in that building, even and especially those that work there;-):)

It's even weirder the effect it has on Sheffield too:ph34r: