Fargate postcard

Arif

I've been trying to zoom in to see some of the shops and business's of the day but scarcely recognise any. Mid fifties looks a good bet.

Yes, from the vehicles and with many women wearing hats I would agree that the photo dates back to the mid 50's. The immaculate flower bed pre-dates the building of the Goodwin fountain in 1961.

A bus enthusiast may perhaps recognise the single deck bus or coach coming up the road - it looks as if it was a quite modern one at the time. When was that type introduced?

Good, so we now know that the photo is from 1951 at the earliest and 1961 at the latest.

I am looking for other details which might be clues. When were those concrete 'bus shelters introduced?

North British & Mercantile Insurance was taken over by the Commercial Union in 1959, but it is unclear whether their branches were rebranded straight away.

22 minutes ago, Sheffield History said:

Loving that photo! Thanks for posting it's ace!

You are more than welcome. I'll put up more when time permits

12 hours ago, Arif said:

Thanks for that, nice to see a local business surviving for so long these days

They were evidently astute, changing from "furrier" to "furniture"! It would be hard to make a living selling furs these days as they've been out of fashion for 20 years or more.