Classic photo of High Street in Sheffield City Centre

Sheffield History

High Street Sheffield.jpg

What a photograph this is. High Street In Sheffield City Centre from wayyyy back

Not seen this one before but it has to be one of my new all time favourite photos of Sheffield!

• Like 1

Without having noticed Calvin's post, I thought "Edwardian era" too. Electric trams didn't come in until 1899, and the clothing, especially that of the ladies, suggests pre-WW1.

Perhaps someone who knows more than me about which routes were electrified in which years, and perhaps when car 158 was built, could help us to pin down the year. Note that the trams are the only wheeled vehicles in sight - I would think that by 1914 a motor car or two would have probably been on the street.

But whatever the exact date, it is an Exceedingly Good Picture.

Actually it's my postcard! He's nicked it off facebook! True, anything is fair game on the internet so its fine by me. Although it is no true indication of age, the card was posted to an address in Nottingham from Hillsborough in January 1919. I've just looked up the Wrench series of postcards and the layout of the back seems to suggest a publishing date of 1903/4. I hope this is of some use to you.

17 hours ago, Arif said:

Actually it's my postcard! He's nicked it off facebook! True, anything is fair game on the internet so its fine by me. Although it is no true indication of age, the card was posted to an address in Nottingham from Hillsborough in January 1919. I've just looked up the Wrench series of postcards and the layout of the back seems to suggest a publishing date of 1903/4. I hope this is of some use to you.

That's good information, Arif, and corroborates my estimated date for the photograph. Where on the internet can it be found? I am asking because I wonder if you have published other, similar, photographs there.

Car 158,  one of a batch built by Cravens at Darnall in 1902.   Walkley route extended in stages and opened to single deck cars right through to South Road in 1899.

3 hours ago, Keith_exS10 said:

Car 158,  one of a batch built by Cravens at Darnall in 1902.   Walkley route extended in stages and opened to single deck cars right through to South Road in 1899.

So, 1902 at the earliest. This is great detective work!

I can read "Factory" on the upper walls of a building on the left, but not the writing above it. Can anyone decipher it?

On 01/12/2017 at 16:03, Athy said:

So, 1902 at the earliest. This is great detective work!

I can read "Factory" on the upper walls of a building on the left, but not the writing above it. Can anyone decipher it?

Probably "The Sheffield Jewellery Company" (EDIT: actually "Goldsmiths" not "Jewellery") - they had the retail premises on the street level.

10 hours ago, Athy said:

That's good information, Arif, and corroborates my estimated date for the photograph. Where on the internet can it be found? I am asking because I wonder if you have published other, similar, photographs there.

Hi Athy, I post now and again on the Sheffield History page of Facebook. You will find quite a few on there if you scroll through their photos. I'll start putting a few on here too so keep your eyes peeled! It is almost addictive but I love looking at the changing times of our city. You can learn so much from it. All for now!

An advert for The Sheffield Goldsmiths Company, a few years earlier than the photo (1895).  Also shows that Christmas started early in those days as well - 18th November!

5a2287ff20396_SheffieldGoldsmithsCompany1895.thumb.png.f597a28acde22c13f185db57249cbaca.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Edmund said:

An advert for The Sheffield Goldsmiths Company, a few years earlier than the photo (1895).  Also shows that Christmas started early in those days as well - 18th November!

5a2287ff20396_SheffieldGoldsmithsCompany1895.thumb.png.f597a28acde22c13f185db57249cbaca.png

Wow that's fascinating Edmund, thank you! Just out of interest, do we know how long the Sheffield Goldsmiths Company were operating for? I'm intrigued!

7 hours ago, Arif said:

Wow that's fascinating Edmund, thank you! Just out of interest, do we know how long the Sheffield Goldsmiths Company were operating for? I'm intrigued!

They appear to be still going if it's the same company, they had a shop on Fargate at the end Chapel Walk in the 50's       ---------------         https://www.sheffieldgoldsmiths.com/shop

• Like 1

In 1888, after trading for 80 years, the jewellery business William Brown of 62 High Street became bankrupt.  The stock was purchased by F H Kilner, who had been an assistant with Mr William Brown for ten years. In January 1889 Kilner began trading as "the Sheffield Goldsmiths Company" from 9 High Street, at the corner with York Street

5a2339d20715b_SheffieldGoldsmithsCompany1889.png.1e68860e8856d7af4d5957f0df17246c.png

• Like 1

On 02/12/2017 at 23:46, Edmund said:

In 1888, after trading for 80 years, the jewellery business William Brown of 62 High Street became bankrupt.  The stock was purchased by F H Kilner, who had been an assistant with Mr William Brown for ten years. In January 1889 Kilner began trading as "the Sheffield Goldsmiths Company" from 9 High Street, at the corner with York Street

5a2339d20715b_SheffieldGoldsmithsCompany1889.png.1e68860e8856d7af4d5957f0df17246c.png

Link to:

William Brown, watch and clock maker and manufacturing jeweller. 

https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/19581-william-brown-watch-and-clock-maker-manufacturing-jeweller-62-high-street/