Christmas in Sheffield city centre

Sheffield History

Sheffield City Centre Christmas.jpg

Sheffield City Centre used to be magical at Christmas. The lights, the fountain, the huge Christmas tree and the hoards of happy shoppers with smiles on their faces.

The kids loved it too. Everything from the Santas Grotto in the Co-Op or Debenhams through to the carol singing and the shops all lit up with Christmas lights

What's your favourite memories and moments of Christmas gone by in Sheffield City Centre?

• Like 1

As a kid, the trip up town in order to see the lights obviously, the roast chestnut stall, just above Pond Street Bus Station and at the bottom of Flat Street, and of course, the much anticipated visit down The Moor to REDGATES!!!!!!!

Some Christmas presents were always bought from REDGATES, usually, the main ones, and oh, the frustrations of not being able to get your hands on them until Christmas Day.

I suppose it must have been in the 50's when the Council would erect a temporary wooden extension to widen the footpath outside Boots ...so big was footfall and Boots was a treasure house of Christmas presents...When this happened and the solitary large tree erected outside the Town Hall we all knew Christmas was on its way.

• Like 1

The strange thing is I don't ever remember going to Redgates for Christmas

Everywhere else yeah but not Redgates

Wonder why? Maybe I did and can't remember it

I remember my mum taking me into town to see "the lights" I don't remember what year it was but I think it was the first time, possibly, that town had put the lights up at Christmas. Waliking in town when it was dark was a novely to me, anyway, never mind seeing all those lights. I thought it was quite beautiful, like I imagined fairy land to. Sadly not the same nowadays, but back then quite magical.