What do you remember about this Sheffield place?

Sheffield History

Sheffield.jpg

Some real memories in this photo! Zoom in and tell us what you remember about this area. It's certainly changed a lot since this photo was taken

I remember it well, it was twentyfive to three on a wet January day! I'd just parked my mk10 jaguar at the top of King Street. The Christmas lights are still up.

The bus shelter must be leaking cos the woman at the front of the queue still has her brolly up. Either that or the wind's whipping up Angel Street and blowing into the shelter and spoiling her hairdo! The coal man with the Thames Trader has finished for the day. Walsh's is still Walsh's.

:-)

• Like 2

I'm in the lavender coloured Triumph Herald...complaining, bitterly, about the "toff" who has parked his Jag on the wrong side of the road!

• Like 1

I see two women, in the middle of the road, dodging the low-flying reindeer. More numerous than seagulls on Bridlington sea-front they were.

In those days, you used to get whole flocks of them, (women shoppers and reindeer), around Sheffield City Centre at that time of year.

You don't tend to see so many of either these days.

Jute coal-sacks - blooming awful things to carry when soaking wet, even more so when you had a lot of slack in the coal.

• Like 2

I have just walked away from the bus shelter, could not stand it for a minute longer. Women moaning about the bloody awful weather and leaking bus shelters, then there is a bloke in a Lavender coloured Triumph Herald sticking his head out of his car window complaining about some stuck up "toff" parking his jag on the wrong side of the road. Then I spotted Two more women heading for the bus shelter having just dodged a couple of low flying reindeer. I just thought "sod this" I am off, I have only got to walk to Wincobank, a brisk 10 minutes will do it..At least it will be quiet.

• Like 1