A postcard of Forge Dam

Arif

May (unknown surname) and (Agnes) Mary Samways had probably both been servants for James Smith Beckett, chairman of Alfred Beckett and Sons Ltd , steel manufacturers, who lived at East Broom, Broomgrove Road.

616310172_Samways1911.jpg.d0055724fe93808c4220d7a6a0c03d6f.jpg

6 hours ago, unrecordings said:

trying to figure out if the ghostly silhouette in the top left of the photo is a distant tree or rooftop - looks a little angular but having problems focussing on it...

I did wonder if it was this building, you can see it closer up in the previous images. My memory of the area is very poor, is that building Brook House?

Good find unrecordings  and Edmund it is great to find connections to names on these old postcards.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/R-L-Postcard-Fulwood-and-Forge-Dam-Sheffield-landscape/142778535115?hash=item213e438ccb:g:IWEAAOSw46ha3w1t

foge_dam_brook_house.jpg

On 12/07/2019 at 14:26, unrecordings said:

Looks like George V - so 1912 to 1936 according to this

http://sunnyfield.co.uk/dayspast/stamps_on_postcards.php

(pity about the small images - but I think from a wider google search the 1911 stamp isn't a full profile portrait)

trying to figure out if the ghostly silhouette in the top left of the photo is a distant tree or rooftop - looks a little angular but having problems focussing on it...

Hi unrecordings, it is trees. There is clump in the Top Park, behind the old farm, and some huge ones at the top of the lane going down to the Forge, as well as some on the edge on the way down.

On 20/07/2019 at 21:34, unrecordings said:

Hi unrecordings, this 2nd photo, is of the middle dam down Endcliffe Park, that was also a Boating Pond, but very shallow, especially at the narrow end.