Help needed - is this Fargate in Sheffield City Centre?

Sheffield History

Fargate Sheffield.jpg

Zoom in and have a look around this one. Found this photo recently that's apparently of Fargate in Sheffield City Centre

Looking at it I can't place these buildings and I'm not just sure it is where it's said it is

Can anyone help?

British Telephone Directory for 1954, lists:-

Paige Gowns (first shop front to left-hand-side) at 46, Fargate.

Next door, we have John Atkinson (Service Store) Limited, at Winchester House, Fargate.

So, in answer to your question, I suppose that it must be, but then again, I wouldn't have recognised it from this view either.

To me it is instantly recognisable as Fargate.

Davy's is now WH Smiths, and a quick look on Google Maps shows this building and those to the north-east to be barely changed in outline:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Sheffield/@53.3811277,-1.46925,66a,35y,39.54t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x48790aa9fae8be15:0x3e2827f5af06b078!8m2!3d53.381129!4d-1.470085

36 minutes ago, Sheffield History said:

Fargate Sheffield.jpg

Zoom in and have a look around this one. Found this photo recently that's apparently of Fargate in Sheffield City Centre

Looking at it I can't place these buildings and I'm not just sure it is where it's said it is

Can anyone help?

Its quite plain that it is Fargate, firstly the name of the Café VICTORIA and the proprietor DAVY speaks volumes, Davys also had many shops around the town plus a Bakery on Paternoster Row, their other café can also still be seen on the bottom of Castle st, was it the Mikado? on the photo on the same level as the Davey name you can just make out the beasts that are still there, a Pig, A Bull etc.

Yes I think this is Fargate. I believe the building next to Davy's Victoria Cafe is now Santander, looking at the roof line https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Fargate,+Sheffield+S1+2HE/@53.381458,-1.4691982,3a,75y,332.54h,114.62t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sxDE6Ibp9ulrR8umSTkByaQ!2e0!3e11!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x48797878a87317c3:0xe70790a53cca54a7!8m2!3d53.3815933!4d-1.4691519

It is unfortunate that the scaffolding does not allow a view of the roof line above WH Smiths

On 17/11/2017 at 07:40, Sheffield History said:

Fargate Sheffield.jpg

Can anyone help?

I can remember being taken to Davy's for tea in the 1960's.  The waitresses wore black dresses with white aprons and white caps.  It looks like how I remember it.

You can make out the building in this photograph of Fargate from 2009.

There was also a burger bar/cafe in the same row of shops in the mid sixties, called there with my mates after the Esquire turned out, seem to remember it was one of the very few places open after midnight.

Fargate.jpg

the photo is definitely Fargate.  I am 87 yrs and remember shopping in DAVY'S on Fargate  when I was a young man.  Very classy shop and cafe.

The shop 'Paige was a ladies Dress shop. Davy's was opposite Marks and Spencer. Then was Marshall and snellgrove, then Proctors a department store then Coles of Coles Corner fame.