Greasy Vera's Cafe in Sheffield

Sheffield History

Greasy Veras Sheffield.jpg

When I was growing up in Sheffield we referred to pretty much every cafe and sandwich shop as 'Greasy Vera's'

Here's a photo of an actual Greasy Vera's van but is this the only actual real one or was it that there were plenty of others around the city?

Clear this one up for me :-)

• Like 1

I remember Vera's when it was on Mowbray Street. When it was owned and run by Vera.
One night in the 80's at daft o'clock, after being in a nightclub, Me and some mates were stood waiting for a sandwich when out of the corner of my eye I spied the figure of a very tall skinhead, dressed in the  full outfit of drainpipe jeans, Ben Sherman collarless shirt, oxblood Doc Martens and braces, striding towards us.
I insantly thought "here comes trouble".

He strode up to the serving hatch and in the politest voice ever asked "Could I have a hot dog please?" hehe

Years later, the van moved up to it's final resting place on Swinton St. The owner was now a guy called John and he told me that to move it, they just put some more air in the tyres, attached a battery, and drove it up there!

I'm sure this will also spark a discission about the famous "Cheggburger" or MM as it was known, so I may be back, later in the thread ;-)

5a0c1bc2d4b46_GoogleMaps.png.5ae8526c4065e664e9d42135740c1d9c.png

I was told only the other night that the truck is currently parked abandoned somewhere near to where Markbaby has indicated its original position. I admit to having had a drink or two when I was told. Can anyone confirm this?

I remember this place too, everyone seemed to go there for a sausage egg and tomato sandwich, it was always busy in the small hours after a great night in Josephine’s. A lot of taxi drivers went there too.

funny isn’t it but I wouldn’t dare go near the area now , but it was safe then , in the ‘70s and ‘80s

My dad is a taxi driver. He and his mates always went to Vera's for bacon, sausage, egg and tomato sandwiches. I think this was as late as early 90s.

Stupid o'clock on a freezing  morning walking home from some gig or other, worse for wear, required the compulsory Cheggyburger stop at Greasy Vera's or the night just wasn't complete.

I remember playing about around Greasy Vera's truck back in the 80s as I lived on Bye Bank. It's was located near the bottom of pitsmoor road heading towards the city centre. 

• Like 1

On 17/11/2017 at 07:43, Sheffield History said:

Was there only one Greasy Vera's then?

And was it near Pitsmoor?

The original, and the best!

Oh wait, That's Uncle Sam's strap line! hehe

I can confirm that there was only one Greasy Vera. I was very distantly related to her. Vera Cardwell whose husband Les was on the buses used to help out when he could. I even did a shift or two there myself. My favourite was a fried egg sandwich with tomato dip. 

• Like 1

Amazingly, in the 70's Vera and her husband used to drive the van home to Hackenthorpe.  I well remember seeing it trying to get up City Road at about 10 mph with more smoke coming out of the back than ever came out from their cooking.

I just can't get my head around why it was so popular

Surely it wasn't even on the direct route home for people who'd been out in the city centre?

41 minutes ago, Sheffield History said:

I just can't get my head around why it was so popular

Surely it wasn't even on the direct route home for people who'd been out in the city centre?

At one point it was one of very few places to grab some food that late, I understand... so people specifically made the trip because there wasn't much choice of anywhere else to go.

This is another one I wrote about a while ago!

https://www.deejayone.co.uk/miscellaneous/sheffield-guide/item/105-remember-greasy-veras-memories-of-sheffield.html

It was popular for several reasons. After a night on the pop it was great to line your stomach with the ever popular cheggburger and a steaming hot mug of tea.

It was also frequented by cabbies, so instead of lining up outside the city hall you could easily nab one there.

If as a bloke (or lass) you'd been unsuccessful in your nights endeavours, there was always one last chance you might pull at Veras.

• Like 1

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s31314&pos=1&action=zoom&id=103705

Vera's New Stand Cafe, Wadsley Bridge

Well its Vera's but I don't know whether it was Greasy? 😂 Sorry Vera I'm sure it was a lovely cafe. We always called the sort of establishment you refer to as Greasy Vera Cafe's, Greasy Spoon Cafe's