Is this the old Pond Street bus station??

Sheffield History

11 hours ago, Athy said:

Blimey, I counted 13 of them (though I didn't notice any turning left).

Would it have been beyond the wit of the timetable department to stagger the departures by a couple of minutes each?

11.15 sounds rather early for last departures in a major city.

The whistle from the inspector, whether it was Pond Street, High Street or Bridge Street ensured that  the last daytime service buses did not leave early, all leaving on the time of the inspectors watch.

It was a lot more fun with back loaders, my conductor would have complained to me if he had a rough ride normally but on that trip he would say just go flat out.

Some whistle buses at one time seemed to be volunteers only, I could regularly get the 56 Wybourn for overtime and never had a problem. I remember one time an inspector getting on in Pond Street and telling me to tell the big bloke with the cat (someone may remember him) that he can't have a loose cat on the bus, I said you tell him yourself because if there was trouble on the bus he was always first to help, the inspector declined and vanished.  On another occasion, same route, Harriet (Well known Sheffield conductress and lovely woman) was conducting and I noticed some sexual activity on the front seat behind the cab, she just took the fares as normal, there was never a problem with her on the back end.

In the 70's when I was on nights we had whistle buses at 02:00, I think it was, but we never rushed off with them and the passengers on those could be more trouble than the 11:15 's ever were.

Athy, pubs still closed at 10 pm even on a Saturday night. This was relaxed in the late 1960's to 10.30pm to bring it into line with Rotherham in an attempt to stop the mad rush into Rotherham for an extra half hours drinking. The 1980's saw the hour relaxed to allow for drinking from 11.00 to 23.00.

On 11/15/2017 at 11:52, midge said:

The national travel offices, did that used to be SUT buses?

Yes it did went to many away matches from there both on the SUT and National coaches

On 11/17/2017 at 09:18, rover1949 said:

I remember an eccentric old lady (Nora?) who used to stride around the bus station shouting at all and sundry.

Well known in the late 60s and 70s as Pond street Nora and not some one you would mess with!!

On 11/15/2017 at 10:41, chalky said:

yes bottom end 

Hi yes this is a version of the modern (old bus station) i remember it much more older than that of your photo that photo was taken early 1980's after slum clearances and sheffield re vamped the bus station was quiet modern back then

At the Midland station end of the bus station, there used to be a British Restaurant, 

serving luke warm tea and soda cakes. Late 1940's early 50's ?

I think East Midlands bus used to stop here, no 3 to Clowne and Mansfield. A mate of mine used to live at Spinkhill.