Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Sheffield History

Sheffield Tram Ride Through Attercliffe in 1960

Recommended Posts

Sheffield Tram Attercliffe.jpg

Sheffield Tram Ride Through Attercliffe in 1960

Here's a terrific old film of a Sheffield tram travelling down Attercliffe and into what I think are the tramsheds at the end of it's journey.

The film shows old shops in Attercliffe and steel works that are now long gone

Have a look at post below what places or people you spot!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love watching this video, watched it many times. Even made a comment on there 5 months back?

Living in Darnall I wish Attercliffe Road was still like that. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blooming marvellous!

The film must have been taken in September or October 1960, as a passing tram is carrying a "Sheffield Last Tram Week" inscription; I wonder if this was 523's last journey?

Quite a film for car-spotters as well as for tram and 'bus enthusiasts: amongst the expected Morris Minors etc. I noticed an (oncoming) Trojan van and a (parked) Austin Atlantic convertible.

One final query: if this film was indeed taken during, or leading up to, Last Tram Week, my memory tells me that by that time only one route was still in operation: City Centre to Vulcan Road (I travelled it with my Dad in car 506 on the last day). So, is Vulcan Road in Attercliffe or is this a different route?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely correct - Blooming marvellous!

Almost too many vintage cars and vans, and of course long-lost shops and factories to make mention of.

The glimpses that bring back most memories for us are:-

Several BRS lorries, most of which probably came out of the Staniforth Road Depot, and which in these scenes were probably working the steel-works to Wicker Goods Station traffic - got a glimpse of that too. My wife, when young used to spend many a day sat on the engine cover in the cab, whilst her father drove various Albions, Seddons, and such to ports as Goole, Immingham, and Hull.

And the green Bedford OYD lorry sneaking out of Princess Street. Identical to the one that Phil Downsby had. To indistinct for me to ever be sure that it was his, but certainly, it looks the blooming same.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Athy said:

Blooming marvellous!

The film must have been taken in September or October 1960, as a passing tram is carrying a "Sheffield Last Tram Week" inscription; I wonder if this was 523's last journey?

Quite a film for car-spotters as well as for tram and 'bus enthusiasts: amongst the expected Morris Minors etc. I noticed an (oncoming) Trojan van and a (parked) Austin Atlantic convertible.

One final query: if this film was indeed taken during, or leading up to, Last Tram Week, my memory tells me that by that time only one route was still in operation: City Centre to Vulcan Road (I travelled it with my Dad in car 506 on the last day). So, is Vulcan Road in Attercliffe or is this a different route?

I think the last route was Beauchief-Millhouse-City-Attercliffe-Vulcan Road abandoned 8 Oct. 1960. Vulcan Road is in Tinsley just before the canal bridge. I believe buses duplicated this route on the last couple of days.

Meadowhead -City - Lane Top via Heeley and Pitsmoor had been abandoned on 2nd April of the same year.

The very last journey in regular service was I think by car 222 which ran into Tinsley depot, I think  about 4pm. As the trams finished their duties they all ran in to Tinsley depot, even the ones from Tenter Street apart from the ones meant for preservation which ran in to Queens Road Works and included the official last tram 510.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, Bog'. I do remember thetram arriving at the Vulcan Road terminus and being underwhelmed - as I recall, the track just stopped (perhaps it had a siding or loop line), no building or shelter of any sort as i had been expecting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Athy said:

Thanks, Bog'. I do remember thetram arriving at the Vulcan Road terminus and being underwhelmed - as I recall, the track just stopped (perhaps it had a siding or loop line), no building or shelter of any sort as i had been expecting.

I think there was just a crossover for the trams to change tracks for the return journey, but then that's all a tram needs. I worked buses to Vulcan Road in later days but we went round the loop. I think there was a row of basic tin topped shelters on the return track side.

Quite a number of trams and later buses were needed there when shifts changed in the steel works, some of them being workers special routes.

I have recently seen a picture of a crowd round one of the last trams on Vulcan Road but can't remember where I saw it.

EDIT Not the picture I was thinking of but here is one of trams on Vulcan Road, possibly the last day,

trams_506_and_509_vulcan_road.jpg

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, boginspro said:

I think there was just a crossover for the trams to change tracks for the return journey, but then that's all a tram needs. I worked buses to Vulcan Road in later days but we went round the loop. I think there was a row of basic tin topped shelters on the return track side.

Quite a number of trams and later buses were needed there when shifts changed in the steel works, some of them being workers special routes.

I have recently seen a picture of a crowd round one of the last trams on Vulcan Road but can't remember where I saw it.

EDIT Not the picture I was thinking of but here is one of trams on Vulcan Road, possibly the last day,

 

Brilliant photograph Boginspro, thanks for posting.

It is always the little details that fascinate me the most.

The electric clock, on the lamp-standard in the middle-distance, the destination sign over the passenger shelters, and of course, the dark-satanic-mill impression that was always, at least for me, Vulcan Road.

So, I thought it only fair to post another image, taken same day, 08/10/1960, but pointing in the opposite direction.

Sheffield's last-tram day is remembered as being one, where as the day progressed, the heavens themselves opened, as this photograph testifies. This probably explains the scarcity of spectators, or perhaps they were all sheltering under the tin topped shelters.

Never-the-less, the tin topped shelters, on the return track, the track-layout, and of course, Hadfields Limited's well remembered entrance can be seen.

All now long-gone, of course.

PT139-Sheffield Transport No.515 at Vulcan Road, Tinsley, Sheffield-08-10-1960-web copy.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Unitedite Returns said:

Sheffield's last-tram day is remembered as being one, where as the day progressed, the heavens themselves opened, as this photograph testifies. This probably explains the scarcity of spectators, or perhaps they were all sheltering under the tin topped shelters.

Never-the-less, the tin topped shelters, on the return track, the track-layout, and of course, Hadfields Limited's well remembered entrance can be seen.

All now long-gone, of course.

Thanks, Unitedite Returns   that's a better photo' and brings back great memories of a very sad day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im guessing here with these 'then & now' comparison photos from that video, so please correct me if I a wrong..

 

Attercliffe Rd

5a107484b4c87_ScreenShot2017-11-18at17_55_28.png.9fafc2786672513b9483152cbb51d94d.png

5a10749234775_ScreenShot2017-11-18at17_55_43.png.4cd850e275cde31cbf0f046b7cd2453f.png

 

 

And the same bridge views from the other side?

5a10752627858_ScreenShot2017-11-18at17_58_39.png.81a6f964d858165bd52c398d523afb5e.png

5a107535d0d05_ScreenShot2017-11-18at17_59_23.png.fd9e68b18addabb475d3278bfc99a323.png

 

 

Attercliffe Rd out of city approaching junction with Worksop Rd

5a107766b69bf_ScreenShot2017-11-18at18_07_51.png.a9dc404699c98f2dbb8884f681ecd41e.png

5a1077731a16e_ScreenShot2017-11-18at18_08_12.png.46ec76ccba8b755a1b78ddec37ababfa.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I notice on the video above, one of the shops/pubs has very distinctive red/gold signage. The same sign also appears on a building on the Beachief to City Centre video, here on Abbeydale Rd approaching London Rd. Anyone know what it is please?

 

Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 18.18.09.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, LeadFarmer said:

I notice on the video above, one of the shops/pubs has very distinctive red/gold signage. The same sign also appears on a building on the Beachief to City Centre video, here on Abbeydale Rd approaching London Rd. Anyone know what it is please?

 

 

Only a guess, but could it be an advertisement for Swan Vesta safety matches? I seem to remember that some of their adverts looking vaguely like that, but usually, with a picture of a stylised flame-yellow swan, on a similarly coloured back-ground.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×