Tomlinson Red Line Taxi

Sheffield History

Tomlinson Red Line Taxi Sheffield.jpg

Anyone remember Tomlinson Red Line Taxi company in Sheffield?

It's head office was in Bedford Street in Sheffield 6, and was run and operated by Joseph Tomlinson and Sons Ltd

The phone number used to be Sheffield 22122

Anyone remember the kind of cars they operated?

Hi, my 4x, 3x and 2x great grandfathers created and owned Joseph Tomlinson & Sons Ltd and they used Austin FX4 cars for use as their taxis.

05490E79-083C-4D26-ABFF-DD04482D2B84.jpeg

I photographed this at the South Yorkshire Transport Museum some time ago and completely forgot about it.

Cabs, horse buses and hearses.

tomlinson.jpg

• Like 1

Was it Mr Tomlinson who had the building opposite the Peace Gardens built, the one with the iron work on the upper floors. I’m sure it was one of the major taxi and carriage proprietors who was responsible, again one of them owned the most horses in England.

1 hour ago, tozzin said:

Was it Mr Tomlinson who had the building opposite the Peace Gardens built, the one with the iron work on the upper floors. I’m sure it was one of the major taxi and carriage proprietors who was responsible, again one of them owned the most horses in England.

The builder was Reuben Thompson. In February 1893 he advertised that he had removed his transport business from Union Street to City Mews, which was the yard behind his new Palatine Buildings.

901168349_CityMews1896.png.a38189bf7d88a81cc1a81e63369a8bb7.png

I knew it was a taxi, carriage proprietor and hearse business that had something to do with the building, here’s a couple of photos of his workers and offices on the corner of Hanover Street and Glossop Rd.

C7213ADB-B554-4C71-BB96-A868A4F695DE.jpeg

BC650E94-F764-486C-B051-F6C5A6AE9070.jpeg

2 hours ago, Gabriel said:

Yeah, Joseph Tomlinson & Sons Ltd. had 441 and 211 carriages in 1899

I think it was Reuben Thompson who was one of the biggest horse owners in the country at the time, think of all that horse muck.

Yeah it would be pretty bad. I was doing some family research about Joseph Tomlinson & Sons Ltd. and I found an advert for the sale of manure from Tomlinson’s.

F0B8095C-1DAF-4C44-8CE3-9773123075E7.jpeg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Gabriel said:

Yeah it would be pretty bad. I was doing some family research about Joseph Tomlinson & Sons Ltd. and I found an advert for the sale of manure from Tomlinson’s.

F0B8095C-1DAF-4C44-8CE3-9773123075E7.jpeg

And that would be just from the stables - I'm sure the drivers didn't "collect en route"