Barkers Pool, Sheffield City Hall and the Gaumont Theatre

Sheffield History

City Hall Sheffield.jpg

Great photo of Barkers Pool here showing the Gaumont Cinema, Sheffield City Hall and even more interestingly it's when you could actually drive up and down it!

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:28, Sheffield History said:

Great photo of Barkers Pool here showing the Gaumont Cinema, Sheffield City Hall and even more interestingly it's when you could actually drive up and down it!

Even what seems to be a bit of The Grand Hotel peering around the back of the City Hall.

I love that image. Thanks for posting it and making it so large that lots of detail can be picked out.

I assume that the cars in the middle of the road are taxis.

I also find it interesting that there are so many billboards for other cinemas opposite The Regent. I don't think there is a film listed there that I have ever heard of, and I can't imagine a film being called "Let Us Be Gay" these days, with the word gay having taken on a rather different meaning to back then (which I am guessing is the early 1930s)

2 hours ago, madannie77 said:

I love that image. Thanks for posting it and making it so large that lots of detail can be picked out.

I assume that the cars in the middle of the road are taxis.

I also find it interesting that there are so many billboards for other cinemas opposite The Regent. I don't think there is a film listed there that I have ever heard of, and I can't imagine a film being called "Let Us Be ***" these days, with the word *** having taken on a rather different meaning to back then (which I am guessing is the early 1930s)

You are welcome!

It looks like 1932 or 1933, which was when "Three on a match" was released. "Let us be ***" and "The Perfect Alibi" were released in 1930. "Strange Justice was a 1932 release in the USA. "The Mummy" was also released in 1932.

"Double Harness" was playing at the Lyceum towards the end of May 1933.