The First World War

Stunmon

My father was married in Sheffield to his first wife in 1918. He was 23 years old. There is no evidence that he fought in the war. His occupation on the marriage certificate is given as Metallurgist. Would that have been a reserved occupation? I can't think that there is any way of finding out why he didn't fight?

By the Second World War he was over 40 and served as a fire watcher in Sheffield City Centre.

Lots of steelworks jobs were reserved so I think it would be.  My dad was in a Firth Browns office in WWII deciding which kind of steel was required for the jobs as they came in, and he was reserved.

My granddad was at Firth  Browns as a plater. Whilst it was a reserved occupation he was sent up to Scapa Flow on 13th March 1918 for 2 months & had a special ID card given him to allow entry to the North of Scotland Special Military Area.

harry w moore service permit 2.jpg

harry w moore service permit 5.jpg

My Dad was in a reserved occupation...testing armour plate. His boss changed jobs and asked Dad to join him. He did. A few weeks later he found himself at RAF Kirkham doing his basic training and thence off to the Middle East. His boss had wrongly advised him that the new job was reserved when it wasn't. That said, Dad always said he quite enjoyed his time in the services.