A birds eye view of old Sheffield

Sheffield History

Sheffield.jpg

This is a terrific photo of old Sheffield. Been trying to work out where it was taken from and the buildings in shot at the front?

Any ideas?

• Like 2

Its Moorhead immediately in front of the camera. There's the dome affair and clock on the Newton Chambers building, centre right. So that'll be Union Street leading to Norfolk street, in front of it. The other dome will be St Pauls.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheffield History said:

Sheffield.jpg

This is a terrific photo of old Sheffield. Been trying to work out where it was taken from and the buildings in shot at the front?

Any ideas?

EDIT I was posting at the same time as ayfer  but lost my connection halfway through so have now changed it  just to say I agree, and that I think you can see the Robert Brothers shop and the Salvation Army Citadel on Pinstone Street to the left.

I think you have the Town Hall and then to the right of the chimney is the old St Pauls Church (Peace Gardens now) the street is Union Street and the other domed (minaret) building is what used to Laskey's later to become Allied Carpet on Furnival Street next corner down from the Nelson Pub as we knew it. Extreme left is Pinstone Street and the Chimney would be where Redgates would be built later. That area was probably bombed and later rebuilt.

An incredible photograph, but what intrigues me is the fact that the more distant parts of Sheffield are so obscured by fog, or smog. Do you think that that was typical of air quality in Sheffield at that time, or did the photographer just choose a bad day? The foreground however, seems quite brightly illuminated.

16 hours ago, LeadFarmer said:

I wonder what the tall slim building with the long chimney was?

I believe it was the Moorhead Brewery.

On 11/9/2017 at 13:05, Sheffield History said:

Sheffield.jpg

Any ideas?

This aerial photograph gives a rough idea where the shot could have been taken from!

pinstone street.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, southside said:

This aerial photograph gives a rough idea where the shot could have been taken from!

pinstone street.jpg

That's a great view, I think the camera must have bee somewhere near the corner of Porter Street and Matilda Street at the bottom of that picture.

8 hours ago, southside said:

pinstone street.jpg

How things have changed. Looks like theres a statue/monument at the top of The Moor, No sign of Charter Row or Charter Square. And it looks like Rockinghan Street comes all the way down to The Moor.

14 hours ago, LeadFarmer said:

How things have changed. Looks like theres a statue/monument at the top of The Moor

Crimea Monument, we have a recent topic on that here  ------------      

• Like 1

Here is a good picture f the Crimea Monument with the Grapes Hotel and Moorhead Brewery behind.  I remember the monument being very impressive from the top deck of a tram. I think the council removed the monument the same year the trams finished.       -------------         (c_ The Victorian Society       http://www.victoriansociety.org.uk/news/crimean-war-monument-sheffield/ 

Crimean_Monument_Sheffield_web.jpg

5 hours ago, Meg Young said:

What year would this photo have been taken? 

That's a hard one, it's not a very wide view. I would guess late 19th century, the horse tram era, I can't see any evidence of electric trams but the shelter that was the transport information office in later days is there. Someone may spot a better clue.

On 09/11/2017 at 22:28, Unitedite Returns said:

An incredible photograph, but what intrigues me is the fact that the more distant parts of Sheffield are so obscured by fog, or smog. Do you think that that was typical of air quality in Sheffield at that time, or did the photographer just choose a bad day? The foreground however, seems quite brightly illuminated.

My guess is that is how it was back then and a very typical scene