Look at the difference here!

Sheffield History

Samuel Osborn & Co. Ltd.'s, Clyde Works, which fronted The Wicker.

Was there not a story in one of the local newspapers, back in the 1970's, regarding a hoard of Victorian 'silverware' discovered beneath the windows of the Victoria Hotel, when they dredged the river ware? Apparently, it seems to have fallen out of the kitchen windows of the hotel, over the years, and just accumulated there until found.

Think 'sheds' on the left used to house the swing grinders with the sparks etc flying out over the Don. Also seem to remember there were plenty of old, used and broken, grinding wheels on that side of the Don. Memory a bit rusty now of induction course there in '69.

6 hours ago, Unitedite Returns said:

Samuel Osborn & Co. Ltd.'s, Clyde Works, which fronted The Wicker.

Was there not a story in one of the local newspapers, back in the 1970's, regarding a hoard of Victorian 'silverware' discovered beneath the windows of the Victoria Hotel, when they dredged the river ware? Apparently, it seems to have fallen out of the kitchen windows of the hotel, over the years, and just accumulated there until found.

Yes i can vaguely recall that story wasn't it due to Staff put items on the window ledge to cool and getting knocked off ??.

6 hours ago, syrup said:

Yes i can vaguely recall that story wasn't it due to Staff put items on the window ledge to cool and getting knocked off ??.

From what I recall, you are indeed correct. The local newspaper published some photographs of the stuff found, and it was quite a hoard, with some material going back to the earliest days of the hotel. However, I have no idea as to what became of the stuff.

• Thanks 1

The Nether Edge artist, Walter Heywood Young (aka Jotter), captured part of this scene at the end of the 19th century, as "View from window of Victoria Hotel".  Times do indeed change!

s12207.jpg