The number 52 to Crookes

Sheffield History

23213446_1948239098536099_2499981611279878838_o.jpg

I remember fondly this colour scheme for the buses. Here's the number 52 to Crookes heading up the Wicker

Some quality cars in this picture too. Do you think it's 1970's?

It would point it to it being the 80's or 90's depending when they introduced the Red Bus livery.

With the colour of that bus, it looks like it must have been taken shortly after bus privatisation had begun. With that bus not being changed to the new colour scheme. 

If I recall rightly, this service used to run from Pond Street, as the number 25 to Woodhouse, by way of Manor Top and Normanton Springs, terminating at Woodhouse Railway Station over-bridge, where it became the number 52, then running down Furnace Lane, and up Retford Road through Handsworth, and eventually, by way of a circuitous route to Crookes. From Handsworth, possibly replicating, quite closely, the old tram-car service route. And of course, the service also used to run back the other way, again changing service number at Woodhouse. I used the number 25 service regularly, through to Woodhouse. The number 52 service less so. Or was it the number 23?

3 hours ago, Sheffield History said:

23213446_1948239098536099_2499981611279878838_o.jpg

I remember fondly this colour scheme for the buses. Here's the number 52 to Crookes heading up the Wicker

Some quality cars in this picture too. Do you think it's 1970's?

It’s not the 70’s you can tell by the cars and the bus.

i would say more like early 90s.

Seems to be SYPTE Fleet Number 1531, which would be registration number PWE531R, which would be an Alexander bodied, Leyland FE30AGR, delivered new in May 1977.

It was the 23 that ran to Woodhouse Station then changed to the 32,The 52 ran through the Badger estate then up Beaver Hill Rd then through Handsworth /Darnall /Staniforth Rd left at the bottom of Staniforth Rd towards the Wicker then through town up to Crookes

Would agree with danny,drove lots of 52s in mid 70s.

I think the car at side of bus is a sierra,which stated production in 1982. 

10 minutes ago, jackanne said:

And me, I must have met you, conductor at Greenland in the 60's and conductor and driver 70's and 80's at Eastbank with plenty of suet ( for non bus crews that's overtime) on these routes. Clip below is from a  1976 route book.

woodus_buses.png

The 52 along with the 95 were the most profitable routes for the bus company. They were both targeted massively when bus privatisation came in.

The other buses in the picture carry the SYT logo for South Yorkshire Transport.  Well after the days when we had cheap bus fares.  

12 minutes ago, rover1949 said:

Suet ??

Not heard that before.

It was the word commonly used by bus crews for overtime after, or even before, their regular duty. I think it originated from suet pudding, something you get after your main course meal. Good money could be earned before the more severe restrictions on drivers hours.

18 hours ago, jackanne said:

I think the car at side of bus is a sierra,which stated production in 1982. 

Looks like it has double 'wing' on back, would that make it the Cosworth? If so, think it would push date back to 1986 (?)

I was once told that bus manufacturers sent their new models to Sheffield to be tried out on the 52 route. If they survived the beating that route gave the engine and transmission they could survive anywhere in UK

On 11/11/2017 at 08:58, lysander said:

I was once told that bus manufacturers sent their new models to Sheffield to be tried out on the 52 route. If they survived the beating that route gave the engine and transmission they could survive anywhere in UK

I would have though the 51 was more challenging. Used to travel to Lodge Moor quite frequently and there was always the chance to get a 'demonstrator' from some manufacturer. Take into account Manchester Road and East Bank Road, it's not surprising some of these buses didn't last!

We had quite a few buses on demonstration / trial /  test  at East Bank in the 70's , from vague memory they were allocated to duties / drivers who kept the bus for a whole or half of their duty. When the driver signed in he was given a form to evaluate the vehicle, I did quite a few.

One I do remember was a Scania decker, it got glowing reports, it could out accelerate cars on the magic roundabout, but Alec, the chief in driving school at the time was not impressed, he thought they were too fast so I don't think anything came of them.