Old photo of Sheffield Cathedral

LeadFarmer

Came across this old picture of Sheffield Cathedral, and its a photo I haven't seen before. Im guessing it was taken from the Cutlers Hall? The surrounding area is almost unrecognisable these days. Im not sure when the photo was taken, but its before any extension work was done to the building. Does anyone know what type of cars are in the photo, are they taxis?

s-l1600.jpg.106460b3db0f634ce9757671c7d169ab.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LeadFarmer said:

Came across this old picture of Sheffield Cathedral, and its a photo I haven't seen before. Im guessing it was taken from the Cutlers Hall? The surrounding area is almost unrecognisable these days. Im not sure when the photo was taken, but its before any extension work was done to the building. Does anyone know what type of cars are in the photo, are they taxis?

I think you are correct in thinking they are taxis, and look to me possibly Renault Type AG Landaulette which I think would date the pictue to around the end of the Edwardian era or a bit later.

I am only thinking they may be Renault Type AG1 Landaulette because I think I see that classic early Renault slope to the front of the bonnet (Roman nose shape) on the rear one. I can't make it out but if they are of that type the radiator should be between the engine and drivers cab.

Most of the motorised taxis of that period seem to have been of the Landaulette body type.

First picture is a 1909 Renault AG type, unknown origin but I think it is in London.     

Second picture is the first motorised taxi in Sheffield     (c) Picture Sheffield     http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;y00729&pos=8&action=zoom&id=47907

Third picture is an Armstrong Whitworth in Sheffield         (c) Picture Sheffield     http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;u02784&pos=2&action=zoom&id=37975 

1909_renault_AG_landaulette_taxi.png

y00729.jpg

armstrong_whitworth.jpg

18 minutes ago, Meersbrook said:

Its after 1918 as the York and Lancs memorial is in place

I may be wrong here but isn't that the York and Lancaster Regiment Memorial to the men who fell in the Boer War which was erected about 1903 as opposed to the York and Lancaster Regiment Memorial for The Great War, I think both were in Weston Park the last I heard.

4 minutes ago, boginspro said:

I may be wrong here but isn't that the York and Lancaster Regiment Memorial to the men who fell in the Boer War which was erected about 1903 as opposed to the York and Lancaster Regiment Memorial for The Great War, I think both were in Weston Park the last I heard.

You could well be right.

just looked up photos and you are correct

1 hour ago, siren said:

Is the gent in the second picture of the taxis,

John Edward Bingham? of Walker and Hall.

It appears that it is, so the picture must be pre 1915    ------    "  Col. Sir John Bingham, Bart., head of the firm of Walker and Hall. Twice Master Cutler. Gave Bingham Park to the City. Died March 18, 1915, aged 75 "     -------     (c)  http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;y05305&pos=8&action=zoom&id=94427