Silver Blades Ice Rink

Sheffield History

silver blades ice rink sheffield 2.jpg

Anyone out there used to go to Silver Blades Ice Skating?

I remember the speed skating bit where the fast skaters had their big moment and really went for it

i remember how they cleared the skaters to allow for the dancers and the speed skaters, i also remember skating around in puddles especially near the cafe.

I first went to Silver Blades in 1965/66 and continued to go every night for a long time. I made many friends there.  Anyone remember the midnight sessions on Saturdays?  Anyone out there who used to go around that time? 

I used to go nearly every night mid sixties. Remember we got a stamp every time we went and when we had enough ,cant remember how many, we got a free entry.Loved it. Met a few boyfriends there too :) behind the stage :rolleyes: Anyone remember someone was filming there one night. We were asked to walk through the café but never did find out what the film was for. 

yes i used to go in the mid to late sixties i loved it then we emigrated to australia havnt ice skated since ,is it still there?

On 07/10/2017 at 23:41, Gary Cooper said:

yes i used to go in the mid to late sixties i loved it then we emigrated to australia havnt ice skated since ,is it still there?

Yes and no...it closed as an ice skating rink I think when the new fancy one opened up at Don Valley.

It's now this...roller skating...

http://www.skatecentral.co.uk/

• Like 1

I used to skate here in the mid 80s, 2 or 3 times a week. Remember the midnight sessions on special occasions like Halloween, and the odd fancy dress night.

The end opposite the cafe seemed to often have a pool of water on it as the cooling pipes had packed up!

Always looked forward to the speed skating sessions towards the end of the night to let off some steam ;)

Not sure why I ever tried to play any of the racing games in the corner arcade with hockey boots on lol

Always smelled of chips and vinegar by the cafe.

Good times, and kept me fit.

Might just have to visit the local rink soon, especially after watching the speed skating in the Olympics......

I can still smell the place!.... the cold and the rubber mats...the smoking room and the chips and cheese!

Used to take the kids there when they were younger (15 years or so back) and my other half, who had been there as a kid, used to swear it hadn’t changed a bit since her days there, twenty years before that!

She works for the company who owns the building now...will have to ask if she knows anyone there and if there’s anything left of the skating rink.