120 Dam Lane Sheffield

Richard Turton

I am looking into my family history. One of my ancestors, Joseph Turton, lived at 120 Dam Lane in 1861. Does anyone know whereabouts this was please? I imagined it to be around the Crooksmoor area but I can't find it. Many thanks for looking.

1861 Census (2).jpg

Dam Lane was next to Summer Street on the enumerators walk. Summer Street still exists. Put it into Google and it'll bring up a map. I suspect that Dam Lane was lost when they built Winter Street Hospital, but I could be wrong. However, Dam Lane was certainly in the Winter Street and Summer Street area.

• Like 1

According to a newspaper article in1880, there was a meeting about changing the name of Dam Lane.

It says that Dam Lane ran between Whitham Road and Crookes Moor Road,  One of the suggestions was to name it

Northumberland Road, but the proposal to alter the name was turned down.

On todays maps, there is a Northumberland Road, running between the above named roads. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, HughW said:

Dam Lane is the old name for the part of Northumberland Road between Whitham Road and Crookesmoor Road. 

1855 map
Dam Lane 1855.JPG

Thank you Hugh (and everyone above), Joseph Turton lived at number 120. For such a narrow lane with water either side that seems a very high house number if you see what I mean. I wonder when Dam Lane did indeed become part of Northumberland Road?

On 01/11/2017 at 20:23, Richard Turton said:

Thank you Hugh (and everyone above), Joseph Turton lived at number 120. For such a narrow lane with water either side that seems a very high house number if you see what I mean. I wonder when Dam Lane did indeed become part of Northumberland Road?

Joseph didn't live at number 120, that was the census schedule number.  It may be possible to narrow down whereabouts on Dam Lane he lived by retracing the enumerator's footseps via the description he wrote of the route (see below).  He left Summer Street, went and did Dam Lane then returned via Billy Fleming's Beer House (also known as the Sunny Bank Hotel, census schedule no 178, and which was at 74 Powell Street, parallel to Summer Street)  and returned to Summer Street.  A good map of around 1860 would be useful as there was much construction going on at the time.

5a008eb203e9c_1861CensusDescDamLane.thumb.jpg.2b6fba801554c563e15de6e965821e1a.jpg