Anyone know when this Sheffield photo was taken?

Sheffield History

22729191_2366564880235752_3179277127670572378_n.jpg

Photo of The Moor and Ecclesall Road in Sheffield but what year will this photo have been taken?

Any guesses?

Immediately pre War or , perhaps, sometime in the immediate post War years. ( during the War all road direction signs were removed so as to confuse the enemy)

It is certainly after March 1934 when the tramway along Cemetery Road to Nether Edge was closed. The first two trams in shot look to me like "domed-roof" cars which were first introduced in 1936.

I am going to guess that it was taken sometime around 1953, give, or take five years. The cars and lorries could be from anytime around that date, and most look pre-war, but the bus might be the best clue. It could be a type of Crossley, which were introduced from 1947 onwards, but looking at it from this angle, I am not at all certain, and I would be happier were one of our bus-experts to give us advice on that point.

I think the bus is a Leyland TD4c Cravens bodied, new in 1936 on its way to Southey Green (97 or 98) from Nether Edge. Whilst the trams and bus have that 'new' look about them there are no other vehicles suggesting after 1946. The poles with white bands were a wartime feature so my guess would be 1945 mainly because the bus probably had a cream roof when delivered new.

Yes they have....but none of the vehicles have their headlamps shielded as a blackout measure nor are the mudguards edged with white as many were during the War.

This photo' appears in the book "Remember Sheffield in the Fifties, Sixties and Seventies"  by David Richardson. In that book it is dated November 1950 which seems about right to me.

The vehicles may be misleading, fifteen years after that date I was driving a pre-war car.