Do you recognise this Sheffield scene?

Sheffield History

I may be miles out here but that looks like the front bit of the Scala Picture House, but if it is I am surprised that I can't remember it's surroundings because I was often in the area around the time of the picture.

Brook Hill next to the University around 1963. Only one building still remains—the white fronted one on the left. The trams for Walkley used to run up Leavygreave Road and right to left across Brook Hill and past the side of the cinema (?) there. Then they went directly through what is now the Arts Tower.

Brook Hill.JPG

• Like 1

10 hours ago, boginspro said:

I may be miles out here but that looks like the front bit of the Scala Picture House, but if it is I am surprised that I can't remember it's surroundings because I was often in the area around the time of the picture.

You are right that it is the front of the Scala.

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;y02934&pos=1&action=zoom&id=49829

• Like 1

On 27/10/2017 at 08:57, madannie77 said:

Can I suggest that it looks different without the row of elderly  houses between the University and the Scala cinema. You had to look closely to see which bit of admin was in which house except for the branch of Lloyds Bank near the far end which was more conspicuous 

Winter Street was flat and straight with houses on  the Scala side only and the trams did run close across their fronts. Very conveniently  the stops  in both directions  were by the Scala. No problem getting there and back from Barber Road. 

It wasn't long after the Walkley route was abandoned that moves were made to gain space. Ultimately each end of Winter Street was closed off. Building began across it at Western Bank and that was it, just a bit more expansion. Till the local papers for no obvious reason suddenly rediscovered Winter Street as having the last remaining tramlines in  the city.    So what?  It's a long time ago and what struck me was that it was the tramlines only. Nobody had bothered to take them up and there was no need to tarmac them over. Not even a nine-day wonder.

So did the residents ultimately have  to move out? Any descendents out there  to tell us.? And what happened to the redundant lines? Nice bit of scrap value there.

28 minutes ago, Keith_exS10 said:

Can I suggest that it looks different without the row of elderly  houses between the University and the Scala cinema

Definitely,  if it was not for what I think was a very distinctive building I would never have recognised the area. Is there a bit missing from the front of the Scala on that picture, portico (if that's the right word for it)?

From about 1952/3 after being moved out to a new house at Hackenthorpe we would catch the Intake to Walkley tram but even though I had to attend at the Childrens Hospital we never got off at the Scala but went up Winter Street and walked through the park, or if we had plenty of time would walk down Netherthorpe to the grinding hull where my uncles worked.