Chinese Launderies

Stunmon

Does anyone remember a Chinese Laundry at Fir Vale in the 1960s. My husband, who was a young man at the time, always wore detachable collars on his shirts which were laundered at this establishment?

Yes it was run by the Hong family. Their daughter May Lin Hong was at Firs Hill school in the 1950s. Her grandfather ran the chinese restaurant at Highfields.

I remember Harry Wong's on Ecclesall Road with the green painted windows. An Uncle who attended the special school nearby was given the washing by Granny to take in. Inside the door was a vestibule with a small counter. When nobody seemed to come he rapped on the counter. A Chinese man then started to come up from under the counter, he was so terrified he just ran in terror! I was told by my Grandfather that at some time in the past the proprietor of this laundry had gone to look for a gas leak and found himself in Ecclesall road with a window blown out of his premises.

There used to be a Chinese laundry near the junction of Chesterfield Road & Valley Road. The son of the owner was a prefect at Carfeld Juniors in the mid-1950s.

23 hours ago, sovrappeso said:

There used to be a Chinese laundry near the junction of Chesterfield Road & Valley Road. The son of the owner was a prefect at Carfeld Juniors in the mid-1950s.

Just after I started work my "boss" used to get me to take and collect his shirts from there