Sheffield town all and civic centre

Sheffield History

6 hours ago, Sheffield History said:

Sheffield Town Hall and Civic Centre in Sheffield City Centre.

Anyone remember this scene?

Never worked in the 'eggbox' (I was based in Cambridge House next to the City Hall) but visited it regularly. Huge open plan offices, floors were carpeted in bright orange. There was a small printing department in the very top part of the building that we used to print off plans etc, and next to that was a guy who made the architectural models of the town centre redevelopment. There was also a rather nice roof garden at the end of the building nearest the Town Hall.

Nigel L

Can't see the 'smoking man', so he must be hiding in the shadows under the egg-box. I must admit though that I preferred the gardens when they were grassed when compared to what is there today.

Shouldn't it be "Hall" not "all". 

Unless you mean Sheffield did have it all. Which one would dispute these days. lol

"Town 'all" is correct ,as any native born Sheffielder would know ...We never, naturally, pronounce our aspirates... I  was once reprimanded by a Master intent on educating this Sheffield lad with the punishment of 1,000 lines... " I must pronounce my aspirates"...Sixty and more years on I now sound  "H's" where none were intended.:rolleyes:

On 25/10/2017 at 11:03, lysander said:

Wasn't there a rather nice staff restaurant near the roof garden?

There was indeed, but I never went in. I used to go to the sandwich shop at the top of Cambridge Street.

23 hours ago, lysander said:

"Town 'all" is correct ,as any native born Sheffielder would know ...We never, naturally, pronounce our aspirates... I  was once reprimanded by a Master intent on educating this Sheffield lad with the punishment of 1,000 lines... " I must pronounce my aspirates"...Sixty and more years on I now sound  "H's" where none were intended.:rolleyes:

That's nowt

I got a wack on ear from Mr Sheppard at Prince Edwards for spelling "Water" as "Watar".