Sheffield City Centre photo challenge

Sheffield History

t01898.jpg

Zoom in on this photo and see how many different things and places you can identify from this Sheffield scene.

What is still left? What are we looking at? Where will this have been taken from?

• Like 1

South Street with Norfolk Brewery and Park Cinema across the middle. I think this must be about the last days of the Castlefolds market, which was pulled down in 1961, because it looks like the new Woolworths building is being constructed on the site of the Norfolk Market Hall.

A great photo' with countless buildings I remember including the Corn Exchange and the Norfolk Arms pub.

EDIT Just noticed the building with the wide entrance, bottom right on Low Street housed a good car repair garage some years after this picture..

12 hours ago, boginspro said:

South Street with Norfolk Brewery and Park Cinema across the middle. I think this must be about the last days of the Castlefolds market, which was pulled down in 1961, because it looks like the new Woolworths building is being constructed on the site of the Norfolk Market Hall.

A great photo' with countless buildings I remember including the Corn Exchange and the Norfolk Arms pub.

The attached photograph, taken in Exchange Street, on 08/02/1958, shows the Corn Exchange, Norfolk Market Hall, and Castlefolds Market, (denoted by arrows), from the other side.

John Mace Limited, Corn Merchants, were based at 6, Exchange Street.

PT284-Sheffield Transport No.245 at Exchange Street, adjoining Castlefolds Market, Sheffield-08-02-1958.jpg

4 minutes ago, lysander said:

Wasn't the Corn Exchange severely damaged by a fire?

Yes the centre of it was gutted by fire in 1947 but the shops and offices round the outside were still in use until, I think, the early 60's.