Dinkii Louiise

The simple answer is...fields. Mosborough proper has a 1930's council estate called Westfield and according to am 1881 map there was a Westfield farm...The farm house still exists.

The Challoner Way/ Inkersall Drive area is on what was the field adjacent to the south of Waterthorpe Farm (see map, the field had a rabbit warren). 

59dc7dcd54e65_1877MapWaterthorpeFarm.png.5dd86026334fadd48181e79a38c9c5ab.png

The farm was in 1877 occupied by William Hunt.  On 10th December that year he found that there were 31 of his sheep missing from one of his meadows. He reported the crime to the Eckington police and on the 12th accompanied Superintendent Cruit to Gray's Slaughter House in Manchester, where he identified  the carcasses of 15 sheep by his mark on their skins.  The remaining 16 were found alive in a shed in Manchester.  The excellent police work found that a Sheffield out of work butcher called Charles Brinnen had been travelling to Bakewell market and met a man driving 31 sheep.  The got into conversation and ended up bargaining for the sheep, which Brinnen paid £62 for the lot.  A deposit of £5 was paid and the balance paid at the Peacock Inn at Bakewell.  Although the thief had given a false name (Inman) Superintendent Cruit tracked and identified the criminal - William Beadmore, a farm bailiff at Nicker Wood Farm, Aston. Beadmore was committed to the Sessions for trial, bail being refused.

In May 1883 Mr Hunt was thrown from his trap at Intake when returning from Sheffield. A man cracked his whip behind Mr Hunt's horse, which panicked and threw the farmer out breaking his ankle, leaving him in a dangerous state, which he luckily recovered from. William Hunt gave up farming in 1886 and the farm stock and equipment was sold at auction.

59dc7dd3ebb14_1886Sale.png.2e6f7ce5c29a2b6b683a76ea1e218199.png

John Lee was the next occupant of the farm. In August 1891 a hot air balloon took off from the Botanical Gardens in Sheffield, rising to 9000 feet, and a lady parachutist jumped out landing on Mr Lee's Waterthorpe Farm.

By 1899 the farm was occupied by William Goodison.  In September of that year he lost 3 stacks of straw and one of wheat to fire, supposedly caused by arson.  The loss was estimated to be in the hundreds but would be covered by insurance.  The Sheffield and Halfway fire brigades attended, but had difficulty as the water main was above half a mile from the site and their hoses would not reach, so Sargeant Waller set out from Sheffield with the manual engine, so that two ponds could be used to fight the fire. Unlucky Mr Goodison had another fire in 1904, in the stack yard, the damage being £110 but covered by the Alliance Insurance company. Unlucky Mr Goodison also lost a hay stack in a storm in February 1907, the stack being lifted into the road. By 1913 Mr Goodison had had enough, and decided to leave the district, all his stock being put up for sale.

Edwin  Peat took on the farm, running it with his son Frank.  Edwin became a Justice of the Peace and President of the Derbyshire Farmers Union, and in 1921 set a new harvesting record at Waterthorpe Farm, a large field of barley being brought in and threshed within two days.  Mr Peat was obviously keenly interested in farming, and in September 1922 the Eckington, Beighton and Killamarsh Ploughing Association held their first annual ploughing nmatch and show at Waterthorpe Farm.  The Ploughing matches carried on for at least 10 years.

In 1990 the mid 1700's  farmhouse was granted Grade II listing.

59dc7fd77925b_WaterthorpeFarmnow.png.1a949aa8330ae005ee7269475c210fed.png

• Thanks 1

That's interesting. It caused me to re-examine my maps and I find the farm ( on the 1884 map...not 1881 as I stated) is quite clearly marked as Westfield Farm and is the only farm noted in the immediate area. I then looked at a copy of an OS dated circa 1850 and note that there are two farms. One is marked...Westfield and the one to the south is Waterthorpe....with the former on what is now Waterthorpe Estate and the latter on Westfield.

I cannot explain the transposition of the names or why Mosborough has a Westfield estate but I believe the naming of just one farm on the more recent map was because of the maps scale.

Kelly's Directory for 1930 show Edwin Peat and Roland Peat as living on Station Road. Edwin is described as a "cattle dealer" and Roland as a "farmer. I believe the last of the land they owned has recently been sold for a small housing development on School Street....despite what I am led to believe were restrictive covenants  in the Will. Some of the Peats had become wealthy by livestock trading and by the sale of land for Sheffield's expansion. By all accounts some of them were eccentric ,to say the least...with tales of them driving , slowly, down the middle of the road as well as ignoring other road users whilst moving livestock. They were also local philanthropists regularly giving Christmas presents to the areas poor OAP's.

• Thanks 1