Tell us what you know about this photo of Sheffield from 1971

Sheffield History

22221997_10154940040204599_5925484174166436236_n.jpg

Let's see how much detail we can pull from this 1971 Sheffield photograph.

Where is it, what's in it, and what do you remember about this place?

4 hours ago, Sheffield History said:

I think that may be Ellesmere Road, if so the church is All Saints on the corner of Sutherland Road.

The gas holder on Effingham Road behind the church, would be the one that was blown up whilst being worked on in October 1973, killing 6 men. I was walking up from the Works Dept depot on Worthing Road to the chippie when it went up.

On 08/10/2017 at 13:16, Sheffield History said:

This is Ellesmere road with Malton Street to the right and Grimesthorpe Road on the left , with All Saints church at the top of Lions street. I lived on Malton street from 1972.

• Thanks 1

I worked on a Job Creation scheme on Ellesmere Road around 1979/80. We created the playing ground area just above the school. Much of the old housing had been demolished by then.

If you go to the school area. A load of old sets (cobblestones) made a paved area. Some of them are laid in wavy lines, when they should have been straight. This was caused by one of the ganger's on the site called Terry, who had a drink problem. It was said he could drink about 20 pints a day. Being in the pub one launch with him I can well believe it! 

11 hours ago, History dude said:

I worked on a Job Creation scheme on Ellesmere Road around 1979/80. We created the playing ground area just above the school. Much of the old housing had been demolished by then.

If you go to the school area. A load of old sets (cobblestones) made a paved area. Some of them are laid in wavy lines, when they should have been straight. This was caused by one of the ganger's on the site called Terry, who had a drink problem. It was said he could drink about 20 pints a day. Being in the pub one launch with him I can well believe it! 

He must have been bloody well paid. At my current local (not in Sheffield) that would cost about £65 per day, and that's not counting the bag of salted peanuts.

He was paid more than the workers, but it wasn't a great wage. It was a Manpower Services Commission (MSC) scheme after all. The workers were employed by the Council Recreation Department. The Council had managed to convince the Union's to let them run the scheme, on the basis that the workers were paid the going rates for the job. Which was they did. However normal Recreation workers got a bonus for working faster or doing more jobs, which wasn't paid, so the Council saved some money doing the scheme with Job Scheme workers.

Beer was much cheaper then. It would have cost him around a pound a pint. Not that alcoholics are bothered about money. He would have probably caged a few pints of his friends too.   

My grandparents lived on Malton street until their house was demolished and they moved over to Shiregreen.  I remember going to pantomimes at Ellesmere Community Centre where my grandad worked backstage.