The Cambridge on Penistone Road

Sheffield History

EA68BA3B-6E1E-471B-9978-6E67CBE407CC.jpeg

Does anyone remember The Cambridge pub on Penistone Road?

What was it like? Anyone remember going in?

I think , in my time, I paid a call in all the Penistone Road hostelries but can't think of anything special about the Cambridge. I wonder how it got it's name?

My wife used to go in, when she had just left school. She was working at the Jewel Razor Company just across the road at the time. She and a load of workmates used to go in the Cambridge and the Rose which was just opposite. From what she can remember it was a bit like a country pub, she knew the landlords daughter. I'll post again if she can rack her brains for any more information.

2 hours ago, lysander said:

I think , in my time, I paid a call in all the Penistone Road hostelries but can't think of anything special about the Cambridge. I wonder how it got it's name?

"Situated at the rear of Hillsborough Barracks & named after Adolphus Frederick, Duke of Cambridge, 7th son of King George III"      from Picture Sheffield  ---------------          http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s22158&pos=8&action=zoom&id=24638 

It was a beerhouse, bit old fashioned, toilets down the yard, called in a few times after visiting the New Barrack and the Rose.

Cambridge caravan site used to be round the back.

Used to go in quite a bit during 70's and early 80s landlord was called Brian always stood outside with just a white vest on. he kept a great pint, it was one of those inbetween pubs like most on Penistone road you just had 1 then moved on or across to Barrack tavern in this case.