What do you remember about this Sheffield place?

Sheffield History

Just out of view to the right was the entrance to the market where an old woman stood with a big brass swing that you sat on and got weighed for a penny...that's an old one of course!

Just spent a good fifteen minutes looking at this brilliant image and indulging in a little, almost tearful nostalgia. Thanks for posting.

• Like 1

My overarching memory of the old rag and tag is, as a short trousered, snotty nosed boy in the late 1940's/early 50's, being "dragged" around the place every Saturday afternoon by Mum after a tram ride.. She.intent on finding a "bargain"...me intent on getting home for the football results. I remember the old lady and her scales, the livestock market and the pot seller who , seemingly, held a dinner service in his hands whilst rattling them. Happy memories? Not really...just a time of relative poverty ( by today's standards) and accepting second or third best all the time...Perhaps it was my being "dragged" that colours my memories.

What a splendid photo, full of detail and animation, and which reminds me of how many people used to wear hats and overcoats back then. It must date from 1959 or later, as the Ford Anglia (second car back) wasn't introduced until that year.

To the right of the black car, a lady seems to be showing her friend the bargain that she's just bought at the market.

I remember this scene so well, I was fascinated with how potty Edwards used to juggle his wares and my first dog came from Ogleys around 1966.

Brings back memories of an old friend now gone, selling homing pigeons to Ogleys, then selling them the same pigeons the week or so after, was it Bill Ogley tallish bloke brown overall.

On 10/4/2017 at 16:09, neddy said:

Brings back memories of an old friend now gone, selling homing pigeons to Ogleys, then selling them the same pigeons the week or so after, was it Bill Ogley tallish bloke brown overall.

Chatting with a neighbour called Jean, it turns out Bill Ogley was her brother. W/E.

Remember buying a blue budgie from The pet shop and taking it home on the bus in a cardboard box. My mum had a stall in the rag and tag market until about 1967 so I have lots of childhood memories of this  area.