How much of this is left?

Sheffield History

s42190.jpg

Have a look at this fantastic photo of Sheffield's past. How much of what we see in this photo is left standing today?

Looks more like Parkwood Springs to me.

If it is, then not a lot is the answer to what is still standing. Certainly all the houses in the foreground are gone. Not so sure about all the industry in the background, although I would not be surprised to find none of those building still extant.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, madannie77 said:

Looks more like Parkwood Springs to me.

If it is, then not a lot is the answer to what is still standing. Certainly all the houses in the foreground are gone. Not so sure about all the industry in the background, although I would not be surprised to find none of those building still extant.

I think you have it, the pub looks like The Douglas on Douglas Road. If it is and you keep going down hill to the left you would go under the railway through the low bridge.

Douglas Road -junction of Mount Road - the only thing left standing would be the dark building far left 2 thirds up, which I would think is the gas works stores Neepsend Lane now Le-Pla.

In the original photo...to the left of the long steelworks type building, the steam and the chimneys there is a building with what appear to be triangular projections along its length. Was this a part of the gasworks coking plant ( did they have a coking plant) or what? I never knew the area well .

2 minutes ago, lysander said:

In the original photo...to the left of the long steelworks type building, the steam and the chimneys there is a building with what appear to be triangular projections along its length. Was this a part of the gasworks coking plant ( did they have a coking plant) or what? I never knew the area well .

Presume you mean the coal drops to the gas works, they certainly did have a coking plant.

https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EPW015486

• Like 1

I lived on Pickering Rd Parkwood Springs for 26 years and left in 1964 when i got married.  

I have just written a book about the wonderful place it used to be with stories from past residents.

The book is called

"The Lost Village of Parkwood Springs"

By Barbara Warsop

Its on sale at Sheffield Scene, Surrey Street Sheffield

Lots of history and a personal photos. 

no 60 201P1020461.JPG

• Like 1

My Grandfather was an engine driver with the GCR. He was transferred in 1917 from Immingham to Neepsend, Sheffield where he and his young family lived for a time at Parkwood Springs. My mother never spoke fondly about the area!