Electric Map display just above the Bus Station

History dude

Does anyone know what happened to the map display that would light up that was just outside the Pond Street Bus Station?

Are there any pictures of it?

There have been some pictures of it on here. No idea where it went. What a great piece of history to be able to own. I only have vague memories of it as a kid, but Id always ask my mum if I could press the buttons, but usually the answer would be "No, we are in a rush".

Can anyone remember what locations would light up? I would imagine The Moor, Markets, Fargate?

10 hours ago, LeadFarmer said:

There have been some pictures of it on here. No idea where it went. What a great piece of history to be able to own. I only have vague memories of it as a kid, but Id always ask my mum if I could press the buttons, but usually the answer would be "No, we are in a rush".

Can anyone remember what locations would light up? I would imagine The Moor, Markets, Fargate?

I seem to remember that not all of the lights used to work all of the time, when you pressed some of the buttons, but locations that I seem to recall were, both of the main line railway stations, Victoria, and Midland, the Cathedral, Western Park, and maybe, Sheffield United's Football Ground. I can't recall Sheffield Wednesday's Ground, but possibly it was off of the map. But a great thing for us kids. Never missed the chance to give it a go, whenever the opportunity presented itself. Quite surprised that it hasn't been preserved.

On 1st August 2012  andyrad posted on 'The Old Pond Street Bus Station' thread, page 4, in the Transport Section, a link to facebook containing photos by copperbeachStudios which still works! 

On 10/1/2017 at 19:01, History dude said:

Does anyone know what happened to the map display that would light up that was just outside the Pond Street Bus Station?

Are there any pictures of it?

Click on the 15 and scroll through.