Can you help identify this Sheffield building?

Sheffield History

u03305.jpg

Unknown building here. Not sure if it's being built or torn down but either way it's really interesting looking

Anyone know what it is and where it is/was?

• Like 1

Rather than being knocked down, I think it's 'in use'

It feel a bit railway ish to me.

looks to be some cementation furnaces in the background, so I'm wildly guessing Attercliffe

I've a hunch this building lurks in the background of a photo that was discussed a few months ago - now to find that thread...

I think it's round here somewhere on the right:

https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/16101-industrial-panorama/?tab=comments#comment-136891

Looks a bit grimy if it's being built. Also that side with the steel girder looks like it's been blocked up. Does look railway to me too. Possibly a coaling shed or a goods shed. It seems to railway type awning on the back roof.

The building has a chimney attached.  The rear upper storey appears to be open, ie no wall, and has "stuff" piled up.  The upper storey is set up for carrying a good deal of weight courtesy of the horizontal girders. Three wheelbarrows are in attendance, more useful at the construction stage than demolition. Surely it must be the Lumley Street Destructor  which was first operated on 25th March 1897, so providing an approximate date for the photograph.  It cost £21,000 and could dispose of 60 tons of ash pit and midden waste every 24 hours.

Now that is a serious contender - the brickwork is identical apart from the two end windows are missing (and obviously no chimney but that can be explained)

I think the roof is longer, but my eyes aren't working properly yet

Were these things built to a standard design - might there have been more of them in the city ?

26 minutes ago, unrecordings said:

(and obviously no chimney but that can be explained)

actually no I can't...

note to self, why would one image have a chimney and no windows, while the other has windows and no chimney ?