Firth Brearley help required

rob123

I bought this cake knife in West Wales (!) recently and I was wondering if it would be possible to date it from the makers mark ? It says Firth Brearley Stainless and Cake Knife Sheffield England. Thanks.

20170927_102323.jpg

20170927_102256.jpg

The Firth Brearley syndicate was established in the 1920's to exploit the qualities and properties of stainless steel...so the knife could have been produced from that time. The handle may give a clue...Is it made of bone or is it a synthetic? If it's the latter it will probably be more recent.

Yup style of handle will give a better clue

It looks etched rather than engraved so I'd say definitely post war, maybe up to late 60's depending on the handle

I believe Firth-Brearley Stainless was the name used after Harry Brearley argued for more recognition ( personal and financial) of his discovery cum invention. In 1934 the stainless steel interests of Thos. Firth, John Brown and Vickers were merged to become Firth-Vickers Stainless Steels Ltd and in 1937 they began to use the brand name of "Staybrite"...I reckon, therefore, the knife in question was made before that date.

It is interesting to note that almost all the local cutlers thought Harry Brearley was a crank for suggesting they tried his "rustless" steel. He also had a very bad experience working for Thomas Firth over patent rights causing him in 1915 to leave and move to Brown Bayley Steels. His autobiographical notes were reproduced by BSC Stainless Ltd in 1989 and are entitled " Harry Brearley Stainless Pioneer" and anyone interested in the subject will find it of value ( if you can still obtain a copy)

Grained  Zylo handle with a Egg Waterloo bolster, I would think 1950s or 1960s, it's not very old but the serration is deep and very good, probably hand done.

My only query would be the brand name for the stainless since all interests had been merged in 1937 into Firth-Vickers with a new marketing name of Staybrite. That said, I notice that a knife I have which was part of a wedding present to my parents ,who married in 1939, has exactly the same bolster, similar handle and is inscribed " Firth Brearley Stainless".??

Firth Brearley was used just like Firth Stainless was in the sixties, I suspect the Brearley name was dropped in favour of "Firth". The name was etched on blades by many companies, I suppose it was just a selling point, I myself worked at a firm that used the Firth Stainless mark because customers asked for it even though George Butler was a much more upmarket name.

Interesting...I notice in my cutlery drawer another old table knife which I take from the shape of its handle ( rectangular) to be older. Whilst it was made by Taylors Eye Witness ( an upmarket manufacturer?) the only mark as to its steel. is a simple "Stainless". Must keep looking!

The  " Stainless " & the " Firth Stainless "  etch marks were just called a neutral mark and in many cases it was only put on the products where the customer had specified it.

Hello. I’m new to this forum and have seen the wonderful cake knife images with the Firth Brearley mark. I have been looking for one just like this one for an elderly friend but alas haven’t found any. Is anyone interested in letting one go or pointing me in the direction of where I might find one? Many thanks.