Help Requested in Identifying a Sheffield Location

Unitedite Returns

I am hoping that one of our experts can assist me in identifying the location of the attached image. The year, if it helps, is 1956. The sign behind the tram-car, denoted by an arrow, states Regent, so obviously a petrol filling station, but what a location?, tightly sandwiched between so many residential properties. To be honest, the location should not have proven, at least to me, to be so difficult to identify. After all, there can't have been that many locations where a tram bearing a Vulcan Road destination blind could have been climbing a bank in order to get there. Mansfield Road, from Intake maybe, but it doesn't seem to be; Duke Street, or City Road, going the long way around by Elm Tree, possibly, but again, it doesn't seem to be, coming back up from Walkley perhaps, but seems unlikely. So, if anyone can identify the location, I would be very grateful.59cb6fe872b5f_XPT502-SheffieldTransportNo.140at-Copy.jpg.4e05f3aecdc45c8b27eb67ed4e46ed7b.jpg

• Like 1

My immediate thought when I saw this was as you head up towards Manor Top from Duke Street. Think I might be off though

Yes, it is something of a puzzler. Well, certainly, it is to me. I've trawled through what I believe are the likely locations where an ascent towards Vulcan Road terminus might possibly be found, but I can find nothing on Google Street View, Picture Sheffield, Crich Village, or Sheffield History that matches this image. There are certainly plenty of locations where the journey would necessitate a descent towards Vulcan Road, but not many the other way. The house style is quite distinctive, but it doesn't match any profile that I can find. The tram driver must know, but he's not saying.

Thanks for your help on this one. I have just spent the last twenty minutes viewing the location on google-map from every possible angle and I must say that you are absolutely spot on the ball. Amazing really, as to how, some sixty odd years on, the scene hasn't changed as much as you might expect. Tanks very much again.

Perhaps the significance of the photo is the year quoted. Kenneth Gandy's book includes the following information;   " In 1957 the pace of tramway abandonments quickened, and there were two closures per annum from that year until the final closure in 1960.

The first and largest closure of 1957 was Crookes - Handsworth including Crookes Depot on 4th May. This involved the abandonment of track between West Street junction and Crookes terminus and between Prince of Wales Road junction, Darnall and Handsworth terminus, a total length in single line terms of eight miles,six furlongs and 188yds. This closure also included the peak hour services from Crookes and Handsworth to Brightside and Vulcan Road. The last car at Crookes was No.194 at 1.30 on Sunday morning, 5th May, and it returned directly to Tenter Street Depot; the last car from Handsworth was No.33. Crookes Depot was later taken over by the Parks Department of the Corporation."

Whoever took that photograph could have been aware of the particular significance it had at the time but didn't caption the reason or precise date. I think it may possibly have been the 'Last on that route' though it does look very empty!

40 minutes ago, Voldy said:

Perhaps the significance of the photo is the year quoted. Kenneth Gandy's book includes the following information;   " In 1957 the pace of tramway abandonments quickened, and there were two closures per annum from that year until the final closure in 1960.

The first and largest closure of 1957 was Crookes - Handsworth including Crookes Depot on 4th May. This involved the abandonment of track between West Street junction and Crookes terminus and between Prince of Wales Road junction, Darnall and Handsworth terminus, a total length in single line terms of eight miles,six furlongs and 188yds. This closure also included the peak hour services from Crookes and Handsworth to Brightside and Vulcan Road. The last car at Crookes was No.194 at 1.30 on Sunday morning, 5th May, and it returned directly to Tenter Street Depot; the last car from Handsworth was No.33. Crookes Depot was later taken over by the Parks Department of the Corporation."

Whoever took that photograph could have been aware of the particular significance it had at the time but didn't caption the reason or precise date. I think it may possibly have been the 'Last on that route' though it does look very empty!

My apologies for not having previously stated as much, but date of image is recorded as 09/02/1956, which would have been a Thursday, so, I suspect that route closure was anticipated, but at that moment in time, still some fifteen months away. The driver is clearly looking directly at the photographer, and appears to be 'smirking', or smiling, so it is possible that it is some sort of 'family snap'. Possibly his last day as a tram driver?

Added Later - In fact, blowing the image up, and looking very closely, there seems to be only one 'passenger' who is sat up front in the balcony window, and I can't see the conductor anywhere, so I wonder as to whether it might be a 'contrived' shot and the conductor, is possibly behind the camera lens.