G. Turner & Co

Roger Grehan

I have a sickle made by G. Turner & Co, Stella Works, Sheffield which would be between 50 and 130 years old. In addition to a manufacturer's mark it is stamped No. 77.

I am trying to learn a little more ie close in on the age, manufacturer's stamp.

I am in Australia and this was my grandfather's. He was born in the late 19th century in Germany before emigrating to Australia 

I'll get the ball rolling..

A photo would be helpful, other than that, I reckon it was probably purchased in Australia, and that the No.77 is going to be the model number

Now in regard to Stella Works does anyone know what the relationship is to Tyzack ?

Edit: I found this link, but struggling to find any reference to (Turner) operating out of Stella Works

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/W._Tyzack,_Sons_and_Turner

That's my point - Tyzack & Turner operated around Little London & Abbeydale (if memory serves - it's in the Grace's link), so anything Turner related - as far as logic goes - shouldn't be coming out of Stella Works ?

Would be interested to see the marks on this - I'm having trouble even finding reference to G Turner

Edit:

Ohh look at this - http://taths.org.uk/tools-trades/articles/50-when-was-a-sawmaker-not-a-sawmaker

is G Turner a 'Type 3' manufacturer for Tyzack (Stella Works) wares made for export ?

I had a look in the newspapers, but found nothing to tie G. Turner & Co. to the Stella Works.

1866:  For Sale: Stella Works, Hereford Street, leasehold manufactory.  (Later advertisements have W. A. Tyzack & Co. at this address).

1867:  Oakley, Turner & Co.,  Victoria Iron Works, Wicker, Sheffield.

1868:  At Victoria Iron Works, 60, Wicker.  Mr.Waddy instructed to sell from Messrs. G. Turner & Co. (late Oakley, Turner & Co.)  without reserve

the whole of the stock - anvils, vice hammers, tools, tongs, pans, troughs etc.

As a young man at Tinsley Rolling Mills we sold steel to both WA T and WTS&T....although neither was buying sickle and hook sections in the late 19650's/ early 1960's.  I seem to remember being told there had been a family bust up at some time in the past and that they had gone their separate ways.

I think the possibility of "Turner" being a type 3 manufacturer is a good one but needs some investigation...although Sheffield manufacturers did like a range of names for their products...Arthur Balfour had several for different markets. 

Oakley and Turner were dissolved in April 1867 following Wm Oakley's bankruptcy. Their main business was anvils, but seem to have diversified into numerous items.  G Turner then carried on alone at 60 Wicker.

I.D. Waddy was an edge tool maunufacturer at the Stella Works until 1866 when it was put up for sale.  It does not seem to have sold until the works were taken on by Tyzacks in 1868.  Presumably in the interim the premises were rented to one or more small manufacturers, possibly G Turner was one of these.  At the point Tyzacks took over the works Mr Waddy was involved in selling G Turner's belongings, although Turners address was still 60 Wicker.  That may be the point the G Turner finally gave up and retired?

All this happened over an 18 month period so if correct would precisely date Roger's sickle.  I would take the "No 77" marking as being the 77th sickle that G.Turner and Co. made, rather than the model type of a firm making thousands.

59ce01c1938d9_WaddyStella1866.png.6788174ab20ac836782b2bfc213b71d6.png

59ce01a226b34_OakleyTurner1866_2.png.645c464d51087af5f363ff9db2aecfdb.png

59ce01b6bac2d_OakleyTurner1866.png.8aa20a85f4f7b7cefe1202cb9fed81f5.png

59ce0186dac54_OakleyBankrupt1867.png.30c93bdcef37737cfa5e7447fbd3f4a1.png

59ce01add87d8_OakleyBankrupt1867-2.png.16ad820201aba5d225346297d6ef998a.png

59ce017cc7c73_GTurner1868.png.760bedd6b38f7db426b865e4a42095d2.png